Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-30-2010, 08:10 PM

Mik_101 is on a distinguished road
Default Few questions for new tank.

Just recently I tore down my 46g reef tank because all the corals died and overall the tank just crashed.
Now I have a 10g tank just for the 2 clowns and a few chunks of LR. I am planning on setting up 29g BB reef tank and the questions I have are...
For the Skimmer I am planning on getting the Tunze Nano DOC skimmer. Has anyone had experiance with this skimmer are they good or a bad choise?
For the lights I am thinking of going with a Sun Blaze 4 lamp 24" fixture. Do you guys think this light will give enough wats for a mixed reef?(mostly SPS and LPS)

Everything else I am planing on reusing from my 46g such as the Koralia 3 power head and most of the LR that came out from it and getting a Jager 100w heater.

Thanks,
Miki.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:39 PM
bvlester

if you are getting a new heater get the new fluval they are nice heaters electronic they turn red if heat is 2deg high or low and flash red green if heat is 4deg high or low. I have one on my kids tank as it is basically FOWLR and up stairs where our wood burning fire place is. I have had it flash once but I keep the nominal heat at deg so when it he 81 it started flashing. Nice to know so I opened the lids and temp went down by it's self. Now if I could only have it open automatically then I would not worry about it when I go away to work out of town.

Bill

Last edited by bvlester; 03-30-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:08 PM

The tanks going to be open top not going to put a lid. Maybe egg crate. But that is one smart heater though :P.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Are you going to go with the all in one setup(biocube, etc.)? If you are, i had the 9002 skimmer in one of the back compartments and it was a pain due to the constant water fluctuation. At the time i did not have an ato so i moved it into the display in order to keep the water level constant. Also to adjust the amount of air running into the skimmer itself it a pretty tight squeeze so you would need to use something (knife) to adjust it or pop off the top adjust it and then pop it back on.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post
Are you going to go with the all in one setup(biocube, etc.)? If you are, i had the 9002 skimmer in one of the back compartments and it was a pain due to the constant water fluctuation. At the time i did not have an ato so i moved it into the display in order to keep the water level constant. Also to the amount of air running into the skimmer itself it a pretty tight squeeze so you would need to use something (knife) to adjust it or pop off the top adjust it and then pop it back on.
No it not a biocube its just a regular 29g tank. But do you have any other recommendations on skimmers?