Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 PM
Banned

denny_C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
The ATI with 8 T5s on top of the LEDs is certainly a much brighter light than comparable LED fixtures without the additional T5s but when you guys compare the two tanks at concept keep in mind the 8' tank in Dave's office has 2 4' 8 bult ATI fixtures while the 10' tank with GHLs only have 3 units hung quite high, plus it's like a foot wider. It's virtually impossible to get a good comparison there, you're comparing over 1100 watts to less than 500 on a much larger tank.

That 10' tank needs at least 2 more units (more to be comparable to Dave' tank) with all units moved lower and mounted the other way. I think I've mentioned this a few times

That said the ATI is nice but I still think the functionality that comes will LEDs is lost with the addition of T5s.
its not just in comparison to the 10ft at the store ,i also have said from the beginning that we needed more ghl's on the 10ft tank the idea is to try to get away with as little as possible as they are not cheap, but we will add mnore if the need really arrises. most of the people who we have sold ghl's too through the store have said the same about the ghl's....the light seems dim when they compare it to the ati's

now dont get me wrong i love the ghl's , alot more than the radion pros lol but so far im impressed with the hybrid we will see how it performs in the next few months

im sure though everyones opinion will vary as far as what the bonuses are or arnt or whether or not its worth it in comparison to other fixtures.

both are great fixtures no doubt about it
Old 11-26-2013, 11:00 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Everything will look dim compared to 16 T5s and 300W of LEDs
Old 11-26-2013, 11:00 PM

waynemah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegr View Post
I'm going to buy either GHL or ATI this week, just no idea which one! Good problem to have obviously.

The biggest downside to the ATI, in my opinion, is the sheer size of the fixture. Not sure I want to go back to the days when I had a 6-bulb Tek light covering my tank. Plus, I'm not sure how the 24" ATI Hybrid would look over my 24" cube.
If these are your two options, there is no way you could make the wrong decision...
Old 11-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Everything will look dim compared to 16 T5s and 300W of LEDs
haha true , i have no idea how many ghls it would take to look as bright as these on an 8ft tank although i am tempted to take down a few ghls and throw them on half of daves tank for a side by side comparison lol

Old 11-26-2013, 11:04 PM

mikepclo is on a distinguished road

Also don't expect too much shimmer from the ati led unless you turn all led colors full and set t5 dimmer. To be honest the smoothness light that mitras that radions and AI's just doesn't come close. Not saying this cause I have a pair for sale for a awesome price

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
Old 11-26-2013, 11:04 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemah View Post
If these are your two options, there is no way you could make the wrong decision...
No kidding! First world problems... I know.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny@concept View Post
haha true , i have no idea how many ghls it would take to look as bright as these on an 8ft tank although i am tempted to take down a few ghls and throw them on half of daves tank for a side by side comparison lol

Well 3 GHLs vs one 4' 8-bulb ATI would still be short on pure wattage alone not to mention the large advantage ATI would have in usable wattage. With the addition of T5s you can effectively crack up LEDs to full and use the T5s to make up the difference needed in blue spectrum while nobody wants to see a GHL at true 100% thus a good chuck of it's power is lost in light tuning. So a potential huge advantage there for ATI.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Banned

i do have a beef with the hybrid , is incredibly heavy , mounting it by myself would have been quite the task it was a three person job.....not the lightest light in the world for only a 36" fixture
Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny@concept View Post
i do have a beef with the hybrid , is incredibly heavy , mounting it by myself would have been quite the task it was a three person job.....not the lightest light in the world for only a 36" fixture
That's just cause you're use to mounting radions
Old 11-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

I just looked at a few different places that sell the fixture and no one shows how much the fixture weighs. I'm curious how much more the hybrid weighs in comparison to the same bulb Sunpower.