Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-10-2014, 04:51 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default To do or not to do? (Car insurance related question)

Well the parking lot of my apartment is a mess due to the fact that the management (I wonder whether there is any) doesn't clean the parking lot. While asked about it, they would simply say "well pay higher rent if you want cleaner parking lot".

Anyway, due to the snow along with my mistake, I scratched a neighbors rear car bumper today (car wouldn't go up the sloppy parking lot and I am not yet very good at driving reverse). Its quite basic scratch with no dent or anything. And he is not concerned about this at all. The problem is, about 2 weeks ago, a truck hit his car (while reversing in the parking lot) and did significant damage to the rear left wheel base along with the rear bumper. Its definite that the repair would require full work on the rear bumper. And now I scratched it. He is concerned that the insurance company (its been 2 weeks since the last incident and the agent is yet to come) might point out the scratch I did (they have a picture of the damage done before the scratch) and may want him to file a claim with my insurance, thus making me pay, possibly half or more or less...or something.

Is there a chance that the other party agent will hassle the scratch? They would have to repair the whole bumper anyways. What should I do? Should I give a call to my insurance and let them know about this?

I am new to this and hence thought about putting it over here I do agree it has been my fault but taking out the car from this parking lot is a lot of work. I just don't want to be paying higher premium because of another on-going insurance claim; the main thing is the owner is not concerned at all.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 02-10-2014, 04:58 AM

Stinktooth is on a distinguished road

Seems like you and the persons vehicle you have scratched are on the same page. I would talk to them and make sure that it won't be claimed as a separate incident. Bumper sounds like it needed to be replaced anyhow from the previous accident. You should be free in clear.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinktooth View Post
Seems like you and the persons vehicle you have scratched are on the same page. I would talk to them and make sure that it won't be claimed as a separate incident. Bumper sounds like it needed to be replaced anyhow from the previous accident. You should be free in clear.
Yah he doesn't want to make any claim but he (and me too) is concerned that the agent from the other party might make a hassle of it. Or they won't? Can I just hold off the claim to see what the agent says and if he does cause any problem, the owner can just make the claim for the scratch later?

Old 02-10-2014, 05:05 AM

Does the bumper need to be replaced from the previous accident or can it be repaired.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:08 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

If it doesn't affect the original claim then no biggie. The other driver can say what gets fixed and what doesn't. Then they are separate claims.

My car got keyed a few months after I got it. I knew it needed to be fixed but held off. A few months later I got rear ended. Took it in and I was clear they were separate claims, ther guys insurance covered my bumper, I covered the keying work. Easy peasy.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Does the bumper need to be replaced from the previous accident or can it be repaired.
I am guessing it has to be replaced. Even if its repaired (there's a significant dent), it will probably need full body work. Atleast that how he and I think considering the damage. The agent hasn't shown up yet (filed about 2 weeks ago)

Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
If it doesn't affect the original claim then no biggie. The other driver can say what gets fixed and what doesn't. Then they are separate claims.

My car got keyed a few months after I got it. I knew it needed to be fixed but held off. A few months later I got rear ended. Took it in and I was clear they were separate claims, ther guys insurance covered my bumper, I covered the keying work. Easy peasy.
So, will it be a good idea to hold off my part of claim and see what the agent has to say?

Old 02-10-2014, 05:13 AM

Hold off and see what happens. If the bumper was a write off from the previous accident the new scratch shouldn't matter.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Hold off and see what happens. If the bumper was a write off from the previous accident the new scratch shouldn't matter.
Awesome. Thanks

Old 02-10-2014, 05:41 AM
Banned

Insguy is on a distinguished road
Default Make the claim

You need to advise your insurance company that you were in an accident. Even if the third party doesn't make a claim on what you hit you want your insurance to know. Reason why would be for your protection, there are lots of claims like this one where the third party will tell the insured (you) that he won't make a claim. A couple weeks latter the insurance company get a bill for something that they know nothing about. Normally way more that what would have to be paid. If the insurance company had a record of the pending claim they would have some place to start. THey would have a good idea of what is going on.

Your insurance rates won't go up until the insurance company pays out money.