Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-15-2015, 09:23 AM

surfisjah is on a distinguished road
Default Help introduce juvenile clown to established tank?

unfortunately my male regular clown ended up on my floor. I have a new juvenile ready in my quarantine, but everyone chased him when I added him to the big tank. I knew the female would, but now I have the 6 line, bicolor pseudochromis and even the regal chasing the poor little fellow. I returned him to the quarantine tank. Was he about to be supper for the other fish? Should I wait until he's at least as big as the 6 line? Thanks
Old 06-15-2015, 02:34 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Could be a while until the juvenile gains much if any size, so not sure that's a viable strategy. Even if he gains an inch in size, being a new introduction, he's going to be chased for a while & the established larger fish will be after him. How large is your 'big' tank? Provided the little guy has a few places to hide, the aggression should eventually subside. Another option would be to put him in a small enclosure inside the large tank for a few days, if you have such an enclosure or can fabricate something. It's kind of the way it goes in most cases, the newcomer either evades the attacks long enough to survive, or he gets beat up & dies. Some folks have used mirrors to distract larger fish when introducing new ones. The large established fish get preoccupied with their own reflection & forget about the newcomer.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:37 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Did you add him at the end of the day when the lights were out and all the fish were sleeping so he could acclimate overnight without getting harassed?

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:58 PM

surfisjah is on a distinguished road
Default It was evening with blue lights

Should I try putting the juvenile in a breeding net and hanging him on the side for a couple of days and then release him at night?
Old 06-15-2015, 02:58 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisjah View Post
Should I try putting the juvenile in a breeding net and hanging him on the side for a couple of days and then release him at night?

SPS fanatic.