Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-08-2015, 06:10 AM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

On second thought, removing the rock is probably the best idea. All that coral dying would release a lot of organics, and potentially toxins, into the water.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:34 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
New reactor is starting to work. Alk is up to 8.5. Tank doesn't look too bad.
Brad, the tank looks amazing.

The fire coral adds to the aesthetic really...such a striking orange.

If they didn;t pose any danger to your other coral and werent so expensive to "feed" I can;t imagine why you would want to change a thing.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:20 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

The new reactor continues to drive my Alk up...now up to over 9.

For years, I had assumed that I would be unable to keep up with the Ca/Alk demand because I was burning through CO2 like nobody's business. So I accepted what was. Then the CO2 solenoid crapped out. When I replaced it...boom...no more excess CO2 use. Clearly, it had been leaking for quite some time.

So my current thinking is that I will manipulate the tank conditions back to that which favours SPS and then try to outcompete the fire coral with SPS. Or at least beat it into a stalemate with the SPS.

Yes, the fire coral is pretty. Basically, my tank is orange instead of purple. It is kind of like many things. (ie star polyps, mushroom)...they are really nice until they take over the tank. Then you wish they weren't there.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-10-2015, 04:23 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Good to hear your alk is up there now. Guess it really does use that much and mag wasn't an issue, or at least isn't an issue now
Old 03-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if the fact that the spectrum on your lights is probably much different than when you first started and your sps were the predominant species in your tank has had any effect on this SPS vs Fire Coral escapade...
Old 03-21-2015, 02:19 AM

I've had this Ca reactor sitting for nearly 5 years and FINALLY installed it. It is making an immediate improvement in my Ca/Alk levels. I should have done this a long time ago.

400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 03-21-2015, 02:27 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Wish I had the money for a Ca reactor ...

I'd dump all my dosing stuff in a heartbeat
Old 08-26-2015, 05:04 AM

Default Death of Majestic Angel

I just lost my Majestic Angel. I noticed some odd behaviour last week, but then he returned to normal. Then, yesterday, he began to swim in one spot just in front of a circulation pump exit. Died tonight.

Doing my best necropsy, it looks like he had not eaten in some time. Even though he appeared to be a very healthy body weight. Can't find anything really wrong with him. When I first noticed symptoms, his appearance was completely normal.

I had only had him for 7 years. I suspect his natural life expectancy was longer than that.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:58 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
]So my current thinking is that I will manipulate the tank conditions back to that which favours SPS and then try to outcompete the fire coral with SPS. Or at least beat it into a stalemate with the SPS.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your Majestic. One of my favourite (semi) large Angels. Are you making any progress with the Fire Coral?

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:13 PM

Yes, the larger Ca reactor and more diligent use of Phosphate binder has changed the tank such that my SPS are now able to hold there own against the fire coral. I'm currently tossing away many lbs of SPS every month just to ensure the fish still have room to swim.