Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-10-2009, 01:56 AM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

All this time sittin around the house ive been having my hands wet way to much for the gf's liking...

had the AC running cleanup duty the last few days since i keep randomly going in and plucking out HA.

i barely redid some rock and coral placement today moving some zoa's off the little shelf peice on top and moving them down so I can try some sps up top.

now that the AC300 isnt sitting on the front of the tank and i have it cleaned up a little I will have to take some pictures.

I hope the zoa's still grow good where i moved them cuz they were looking pretty good where they were.

really wishing i had a little bit bigger tank though there is just not enough real estate in this one
Old 12-10-2009, 02:08 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Got some pics??

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:51 AM

I tried taking some pics but the girl has her camera with her, and the lense i have on my slr does not do the tank justice.

and the lights went out just after i took these.

Shot from late this spring for comparison

FTS from today

Left Side

Right Side

I got a couple more up in my album too.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=160

I stoped by AI tonight too and got a couple little things i wanted, was going to stop at blue world too but i never made it in time, dammed traffic. the roads were crap on the drive back to Leduc.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:05 AM

I had a good little laugh today.

I bought some tanks from leducreef, I wantted to upgrade and move the tank from the window to make sure any spills did not dammage the laminate or hardwood or whatever it is the tank is on.

i got his 40breeder, sump and 15 gallon addon.. got it all to the house and was setting stuff up

and she asked me "So what am i leaving in the old tank?" took me a minute or 2 to realize she thought i was just starting MORE tanks, oh the things i could have gotten away with.

saved most of the water from the display since it was only a 6 block drive, currently whipping some up to fill the sump and side tank.

if I can get the params stable and close to matching my other tank would it be safe to move all the livestock over tomorrow?

probably heading out of town to work monday morning, so my thoughts are to either bring everything down or just bring my few bad peices of HA covered rock to cook in dark for a couple weeks.

Thanks again Jon(John) for the tanks, and gear and the help getting them over here.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 AM

leducreef is on a distinguished road

hey no worries hope it all works out for you if you have any problems
give me a shout
4 year exp salty
Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 PM

Default Never know what to expect <40breeder version>

2 quick questions then the summary
Where is the easiest place to find epoxy for frags. leduc or southside edmonton I keep looking at the hardware stores and not seeing, I know one of the reef stores in ed should have it but i was hoping not to go to ed.

Where do you find the small eggcrate, or something like it to put around overflows to try to keep little swimmers out?

well for better or worse everyone is moved over.

the girlfriend was at first sad that there is no fishtank to look at in the living room any more but then glad that there feels like there is more room up there.

Things look great so far and I think i will have alot more success with this setup. The goal was to make a lower maintnance more stable environment for my fish while im still working on the road <looking harder for a local job or a job i would have to move for but have to be home> so now the setup is pretty much as leducreef had it before 40breeder display, on top of a 25? sump with a small dsb chamber with a big ball of cheato on top of it.. 15 gallon is inline beside with a 5 inch sandbed and 10-15 pounds of really ha covered rocks with no lights over it for now. ATO sits on the floor under the 15 and is a ?? big tall rubbermaid container, with lightly kaulked water.

The 40 breeder is a much nicer shape than the 33 i had, it just feels like there is so much more area to work with. pulling out the worst of the HA rock probably helps here too. so far i am happy with the aquascaping. central island with a few tunnels and overhangs, near gyre conditions with no rock touching the wall and the powerheads all blowing the water round and round. I need to go get some glue to redo all the coral's that were moved. My diy pc lighting still looks bright even though its a bigger tank, probably because it is shallower. I would not mind upgrading them but thats out of the budget for a while.

beside all this sits my old 33 on top of a heavy duty rolling counter. this will be for new salt mixing/water making. with storage underneatH.

behind the fish area is my workbench and in the room beside it is my mancave. so there is lots of room for toys and lots more reason to be in the basement.

all the corals opened back up after the water cleared, mucked it up a bit moving some of the sand in.

had a few minor hickups while tweaking all the plumbing out but i think i got it safe now.

My tiny watchman goby was the first victim to the overflow found him swiming in the sump today. What is the chepest/easiest thing to get like that small eggcrate for blocking that off? <in/around edmonton> he can stay alone in the 15 for now if i do not find anything.

While getting it set up i had a few close calls with the overflow too, I kind of wanted to drill an emergency overflow before i set it up but i rushed into things. is it possible to drill on a setup tank or would that be a strip it down and drain most of the water event? either way I might have to work on that next days off just for peace of mind.

The girl is allready talking seahorses in the 15 but she needs to learn how to take care of the tank more before i try something crazy like that.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:14 AM

Default Never know what to expect <40 breeder version> new pics

Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 PM

leducreef is on a distinguished road

looks great man i have some frag epoxy and some egg crate if you want it
4 year exp salty
Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 PM

so things went great till today

girl goes downstairs and there is water all over

troubleshooting ith her over the phone was terrible..

she got it all back working but we found no problem
so i told her to keep an eye on it

2 hours later she has not looked at it.. so i remind her

water is everywhere again and i STILL dont know the problem

im shut down from cold weather today anyways i might as well drive the three hours home to see what is wrong
Old 01-07-2010, 09:24 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Crap, sorry to hear, hope its simple fix

Umm, a tank or 5