Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 04-05-2017, 04:42 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
you have a reading of 2ppm of free chlorine out of your tap? I find that really hard to believe gosh I keep our swimming pools at that. do you mean .02 because that would make sense
No, total chlorine, not free chlorine it's in the form of chloramine here.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

oh I see
Old 04-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Start aerating the water overnight before water changes. As a good precaution I have my ato and salt mixing water aerated 16hrs a day, why 16 hrs because they are on the apex with my gyre and the gyre only runs from 12pm till 5am.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 04-06-2017, 06:43 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

If your getting chlorine out of your ro unit then the carbon filter is exhausted and the chlorine will have eaten your ro membrane as well, especially if it's a CTA one. I'd recommend replacing both and then increase the frequency of carbon filter replacement.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:30 AM

IronChefItaly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I test the water from my RO/DI after carbon and before RO membrane (I installed a tee and ball valve just for this purpose) about once a month. The tap water here has about 2 ppm chlorine and the single 1 micron carbon block on my RO/DI has no problem breaking the chloramine bond and removing the left over chlorine. I think the people selling the chloramine blocks are doing a good job advertising.

Chlorine also damages RO membranes really badly and really quickly. Any chlorine getting to it is going to wreck the membrane in no time. If typical carbon blocks didn't work good enough I think we'd see a lot more people with toasted RO membranes.

My RO membrane is over 6 years old, has made thousands of gallons of water and still puts out only 3 ppm (about 260-280 ppm tap water). No way could my membrane last this long if chlorine was getting to it.
Well there you go, never listen to any one source without a bit of independent information or a dash of your own judgement. I truly missed considering that point initially but I'm still curious if Animal-Chin's RO membrane is truly exhausted. Animal-Chin, have you been monitoring your TDS through reliable methods?
Old 04-08-2017, 11:17 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
If your getting chlorine out of your ro unit then the carbon filter is exhausted and the chlorine will have eaten your ro membrane as well, especially if it's a CTA one. I'd recommend replacing both and then increase the frequency of carbon filter replacement.
Totally agree!

SPS fanatic.