Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-30-2010, 07:20 AM

Argentiner is on a distinguished road

Nice new fish there Trina! Hope you have better luck than I did with the watanabei. After I got them I dug a little deeper reading on them, and they are pretty hard to keep alive the first couple months. Males are worse than females. I lost a pair of them in QT a while back after they were initially eating great. Such a nice looking fish though. Will look great in your big tank.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:31 AM

trinac is on a distinguished road

I hope so!!

Exciting news - I have an egg... a cuddlefish egg!!! No idea if it will hatch, but from the size of the egg, when it does hatch, it should be a fairly decent size. Kinda cool though!

Trina
Old 07-31-2010, 03:04 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

What! Reallyy?!! That's wicked I have always wanted a cuttlefish to raise, where did you come across the egg? Great looking fish btw, I have always wanted a boxfish but I'm afraid to put them into the reef.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:41 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Really nice angel Trina. And that Aussie brain you got looks exactly like mine. They just glow with intensity! Mine ate a piece of mysis tonight which was kinda cool.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 PM

Got it at RC!! In the back tanks I was asking about the grape looking things in tank, turned out they were cuttlefish eggs!

Is the aussie brain the green one?! haha I am not sure what some of them are... haven't finished reading my "Aquarium Corals; Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History" text yet... Still on the fish health book. That green one looks prety cool when its feeder tentacles come out tho! I give it some mysis every once in awhile too.

Trina
Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 AM

Default 30G springs "a leak"

Oh holy crap!! My 30G blew up tonight at about 6pm. What a disaster haha. I was sitting on the couch in the living room and heard this SHHHHHHH, so I yelled at Marcellus to see what the hell is was doing. Then the dog ran into the office, I followed and I see water... Holy eff!! Then I really yelled at Marcellus and had him hold the side of the tank that had come apart and ran downstairs to get a long piece of hose then threw in the water pump into the tank and pumped the rest of the water out of the tank into sink. I left a couple inches for the fish and whatever to keep alive while we cleaned up the water. It amazing how fast that thing drained... 10G or so out in seconds. Then I hauled the live rock, fish and corals and dumped er in the 90G. Sucks losing this tank, because it was so cute, but the corals, I have to admit... look way more awesome in the 90G lighting than under my T5's!! Just brilliant. Fish, shrimp, and anemones all seem to be surviving. SPS are protesting in their usual way, but I am sure everyone will have settled down by tomorrow.

I'll do a water change and redo the carbon this weekend to keep everyone happy.

Other updates..

*Watanabe jumped... sucks, and there goes $100 yay
*1 blue chromis MIA, and 1 blue chromis found a new home (fish store)
*I major suck at quarantining... the spotted boxfish must have had a spot of ick, good luck finding that, and my tank has ich again. This will be super awesome catching all these fish in a much larger tank, which is also packed with live rock... Since its a jumbled hodge podge, I'll just take all the LR out when I want to catch them and medicate them AGAIN.
* Cuddlefish egg hatched while I was on holidays, haven't seen him since. Probably died as the tanks were on auto fish feeders.
* ATO's rule the friggen school magne!! LOVE THESE THINGS
* I also have my automated fish feeder still going once a day... nice alleviation from multiple daily feedings. So they now get a mid day pellet feeding, and I feed them their frozen plankton in the evenings.

And I watched Finding Nemo the other day, I think I like the movie even more now that I have my own mini reef.

Trina
Old 09-03-2010, 05:00 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to read the bad news Trina that's brutal. So a seam just went on the tank randomly? That's terrifying. I guess say a little prayer of thanks it wasn't the 90g! Good luck with the recovery...
Old 09-26-2010, 04:42 AM

Everybody survived, corals included with the exception of two birdsnest frags, still have three others so its all okay.

The 90 is a jumble of rocks right now though, I am not entirely looking forward to re-landscaping!!! I need a plan of sorts to stack the rocks in some fashion that is aesthetically favourable, but haven't come up with anything yet. If you have any winning ideas please feel free to pass along! Drawings would be preferable, the tank measures 4' x 18" or something like that. You'll get an amazing prize if you win, how does a 3D marine fish bookmark sound?!! Awesome, I know.

Fish are all doing good. Oh, I got a new fish today, a stellar looking Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse. Very bright pink.

I think I've already mentioned this, but I love love love my lighting system, its a metal halide / fluorescent / LED combo. My corals look way more bright and are growing way faster too, instead of under just T5's. My anemone's also like this lighting system better too.

Trina
Old 09-26-2010, 04:44 AM

That tank crash SUCKED though, I actually considered getting out of the hobby entirely. I am over it now though. And back!! hiyeee!!!

Trina
Old 09-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinac View Post
That tank crash SUCKED though, I actually considered getting out of the hobby entirely. I am over it now though. And back!! hiyeee!!!
Oh come on now. You like...throw yourself off the side of mountains buckled into a bicycle and stuff. We know you're up for a challenge. There should be nothing that fits into a 90g that's capable of defeating you!

Glad to hear most things made it. Toss a blindfold on and start moving rocks until it works lol.