Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Not a lot of info on the Ollie and he's used a stock picture by the looks of it. It's a toned down model from earlier years, at one point it was Devinci's second-in-command after their flagship Wilson for DH bikes and a lot of coin to get into an Ollie. Personally I don't think I'd give it much thought unless you find out he's real close to you and you can check it out in person.

Both the Norco and the Devinci you linked to there are larger travel suspensions (6" or up). They are not going to be fun to push on a commute for very long, unless your commute has a decent DH section (but the flip side is the other direction you're walking it uphill). If you're looking for more of a daily driver that can handle the occasional trail or trick then you should look for bikes in say the 4" of travel instead, for the sake of weight for the most part. Even less if you don't need it since it all adds up to weight. The newer bikes, like from say maybe 2008 onwards you get 5" travel bikes that weigh as much as a 3" travel bike from 2005-2007 but then you're looking at newer and thus probably fewer good deals to be found. You can probably start with a hard tail for now since it will be lighter, and cheaper, for the most part the softtails are really for taking drops (with maybe some exceptions but that's sort of the reason for the rear suspension as far as I'm concerned. ) Also take into account that bikes that aren't rigid will suffer from pedal bob if you can't lock out the suspensions, no pedal bob for the most part with a hard tail.

The best suggestion I have is that you need to try riding a few and see what you like best. Head into a few LBS and try out new models to get an idea for what grabs you but then look for those models used. If you restrict your search to say 2-3 years old the bike shouldn't have had much chance to be trashed. Bike maintenance isn't too bad, you can pick up a guide book from say MEC or similar for $20ish and it will list all sorts of things you can DIY including the crazier low level stuff. That said, I don't do that much except for the simpler stuff myself, I have a pretty good relationship with my LBS (the owner is a friend of mine), they know my bikes well so I usually get them to work them over if it's anything I don't really have the time to tackle myself.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:51 AM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

Check out Bow Cycle this weekend they are haveing a huge sale with some great deals.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 AM

Parker is on a distinguished road

I think those bikes may be a little more then you need at this point. I'd look at a decently spec'ed hardtail. They can take quite a bit of abuse, and will still be light enough to commute around on day to day.

I think something like this would be a good fit:
Kona
http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=blast

Specialized
http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bc/...nuItemId=12241

Giant
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/...te/5398/41496/

Trek
http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes...4_series/4500/

Or for the same money, you could pick up something a little better spec'ed used as other have mentioned

If you find your progressing out of one of these bikes in a couple of years keep it in your stable for daily commuting duty and pick up something a little more robust for the more challenging stuff.

Last edited by Parker; 06-16-2010 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Fat Finger Disease.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:59 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

loveless: Terrific! Thats exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks.

Tony: Thanks a lot for the info on the suspension etc...! I guess to find those things out its kind of about looking at the bike and finding out the model specs somewhere? (Since most people dont list them?) Or should the front and rear travel usually be the same? (im guessing that would make sense?) So you can eyeball it from the fork? And sweet, I have a MEC membership so when (or before) I get a book i'll have to pick that up!

Sitandwatch: Thanks! I'll try to take a look down there when im in calgary in a couple weeks (though the sale may be off?)

Parker: Cool, thanks! Im thinking maybe just a new hardtail might be easier for me to figure out and get started on since im just jumping in. The cost of a good new hardtail seems to be in the range of some of those used bikes that aren't in my riding area (yet..) so makes sense.

Thanks again everyone for the awesome info!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, looking up specs can become something of a hobby in itself.

Do keep us posted on what you end up with. I definitely see enough people in this thread that we maybe need to organize a bunch of Canreefer bike rides in our respective areas .. If you're ever really stuck with a bunch of free time on your hands, look into downloaded or watching "Drop In." Show is a few years old now but it's great for some byte-sized bike entertainment. One of the things they'd keep on saying to regular folks though is "just get out there and ride."

Now if it could just stop raining around here .......
Old 06-16-2010, 08:54 AM

Haha. Yeah looking at some of the spec sheets on some of these bikes... It takes me awhile to decipher what some things even mean! Lol.

I sure will! And that most definitely would be a sweet idea! Heck I'd drive around for a good ride I think. Haha. (man I'd love a good ride on a bike... On my UNICYCLE I've done some XC and DH rides with bike groups (on real bikes)... and MAN it was fun! But hard to keep up cause on flat ground i just CANNOT crank fast enough. LOL).
Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveless View Post
Ya I bought a seasons so im busy trying to make it worth my while. At present half the trails arent open because of the rain but its getting there.

I'll keep an eye out for ya, I ride the Grey RM Slayer above with a red & white Giro Remedy.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU
Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 PM

loveless is on a distinguished road

Haha.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:18 PM

Wow haha, that was one hell of a video!

Im sure he went through a few tires/rims... but I definitely believe all that is possible! Its easy stuff for a trials rider and yet a lighter bike = easier to work with.

Maybe thats what I need for a bike :P ahah.

Last edited by Funky_Fish14; 06-26-2010 at 06:50 AM.