Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-20-2009, 02:51 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Chris where did you buy the GE1200 btw? There was something weird about that silicone I bought off BRS...took forever to not be sticky and it seems some areas never properly cured.

FYI this was the stuff (I'll def be steering clear):

Old 12-20-2009, 06:00 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I know he's not your fave person to deal with but the only place I was ever able to find some GE1200 was from Mitch.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:34 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Mitch is... well, I'll leave those words for private conversations :P Brett, Quinn, Ed and I had a real nice chat about him while we were loading the stuff into the truck, haha. - oh I also want to thank my buddies Quinn and Ed, and also my Dad, for helping me get this bad boy moved!

Tony: Thanks for the comment!

Brett: Haha, hey I never said it was your silicone job! I DID infact say that the resevoir is perfect! Lol. That silicone is weird stuff. Um, the GE1200 I got from aquarium illusions. I know people who have ordered it online somewhere and also through local plumbing or hardware supply places. If you want i can arrange to get you some if you need it for your next build, just PM me. Infact I'll give it to you.
Man that stand was death. I actually ruined my back (well I totalled it moving a full tank alone the next night) getting that thing in the door. We had to do a really weird lift (well I did) to help get it in... and we probably should have opted for a different way lol.

Mike: One of the walls (opposite the window) is actually finished and painted... im going to frame the far (left in pic) wall in and drywall the whole window bay and part of left wall by tuesday and have it painted. The floor will be finished after all the tanks in the room are set-up. The rest of the basement will come with time. We are still trying to landscape about 2 acres around the house and finish a workshop separate from the house... its comming along... slowly

GSP/Brett/Tony: Haha thaaaanks guys... im actually quite proud of my collection of cichlids :P

Lorenz0/Hillegom/rjengen: Thanks!

Today's Progress

I finally pulled my head out of the sand and figured out the darn plumbing to connect the union/ball to the sump. I didnt feel like 'emergency ordering' a TxT 2" bulkhead (lame I couldnt find any in town) so I got a shorty bulkhead and a coupler. I 'dry-fitted' the line from the sump to the pump. Got a few more plumbing parts and also picked up some Matala bio-media for the sump. I got some black sand the other day, but its way too fine. One of the bags also exploded in the back of my pathfinder. At least the stuff was CHEAP. Im going to exchange it for something thicker. Today was a bad progress day - had to work and then family is over right now. Just sneaking in some 'midnight canreef', lol.

Will have more pics tomorrow!

List to tackle tomorrow:

-Work on some more plumbing, dry-fitting and glueing what I can
-Try to get the gyprock up
-Install a baffle in the sump (which I just realized means pulling it back out of the stand I just put it in yesterday? Lol, smart).
-Spray the back of the styrofoam backing for the setup
-Install (but not connect) new water supply line for the system.

Cheers Everyone! And thanks for looking!

Chris
Old 12-20-2009, 08:19 AM

Also, again I welcome any suggestions for lighting (other than halides lol, though I wish I kept my lumenarc, yes, for a FW. Would have looked stellar!). I would like to get the lighting installed before I move this thing into position near the wall (still will have about 10-12" behind which is enough space for me to walk across behind it).

Thanks!

Chris
Old 12-20-2009, 05:47 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Robax Platinum (it's Ibuprofen based, or as I like to call it "vitamin I"). Forget the ASA-based Robaxisal and the acetametophen-based Robaxicet. And yeah, while I agree it sucks to "put your life on hold" for a bit, but with a wrecked back myself and not a huge fan of the random times it pops up and reminds me it's there, I do recommend slowing down just a titch until it settles a bit. The Robax *should* help unless it's really bad damage though... Good luck, you have my sympathies (there are probably loads of guys in the 30's right now nodding sympathetically .. all dating back to stories from when they were teens and early-20's .. ) Good luck!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear about the back problems Chris. As bad as my posture is my back is ok. I think it's all the builds I end prematurely. You get bent over so severely when you sell that I think it stretches all the muscles in the back nicely haha.

Cichlids are the bomb man don't sweat it =)

As for the GE1200...I'll have to order online or buy some of your extras.

You forgot to give Ed's dad some credit. He sorta inspired us all a few times to focus more on the tank move and less on anything else
Old 12-20-2009, 08:16 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Sorry about your back Chris, I know the feeling.. I injured mine about 2 years ago, and it still bothers me to this day. Hope the pain goes down soon for ya.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 12-20-2009, 08:58 PM

Tony: Thanks, I'll have to check it out! And yeah - my Dad is telling me I have to be careful because obviously runing my back at this age would be horrendous. Going to hit-up some doctors this week to see whats up. Its been bad for too long.

Brett: Yes I'll get you some of it. And LMAO about Ed's dad! At least my 'reefer's hop' got us off that topic.

J: Thanks. And damn, that sucks. Best wishes for your's too!

Progress update:
(Pics necessary ofcourse)

Did this in the middle of the night last night. Used newspaper and tape to cover all the 'key areas' that are for bonding/threads, and sprayed the plumbing black. Glued a couple sections together. This is how I'll be 'finishing' all the plumbing.

Also: Darnit, I just realized I still have to move a stand with two tanks out of the way to start the drywalling (the 15 and 28g in one of the pics)... thats going to take 30-45 mins today so will slow progress.

Will update with more later today.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 12-21-2009, 02:22 AM

More progress:

Added a baffle to the sump. I'll have a 'media tray' ish thing in the sump, water will all be flowing through a few layers of foam and matala.

Also got the gyprock up in the 'bay window' area where the tank goes. Stupid stores in Leduc/south edmonton closed early today so we couldnt get the corner jointing stuff for the mudding, and we also need to pick up some studs to finish framing in both sides of the walls adjoining the 'bay'.

I am a little worried about sanding the plaster in my fish room with tanks running where im working... but I usually mud fairly dry so I dont get much shrinkage, which means im hoping I can get away with two good layers and little sanding.

Unfortunately thats all I got done today. Tomorrow the first layer of mud should be done and the supply line plumbed, though I just realized I might be out of 3/4" fittings for that line.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 12-21-2009, 05:00 AM

cuz is on a distinguished road

deffinatelly cover the tanks prior to sanding!! I used plastic and seales them right off, got a bit of condensation under the plastic but kept the dust out!!

(turn off any mh's prior to plastic!!lol)