Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 04-01-2015, 02:40 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Try Nedco. Dunno if there is any in the prairies
Old 04-01-2015, 02:44 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Try Nedco. Dunno if there is any in the prairies
Yes, we have one here. The trouble is not so much finding 21 watt 36" bulbs, but finding them in actinic or 20K. Thanks though!

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:36 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

So this is a very long, narrow tank, 8 foot 32 gallons? Definitely a challenge in all respects, flow, lighting, stocking..... T5 lamps are only going to get more difficult to find in the proper spectrum in the future, but you're already kind of finding that out! A tank like this is simply screaming for a LED ribbon or two. Still a challenge to find LED strips with sufficient punch for salt water, but IMO you may as well try to convince the client to jump on the LED bandwagon now, rather than later. Some SMD5630 strips might do the trick to get the tank running.

EDIT: So I did a search on these tanks & see that everything is integrated, including the T5 fixture. These look like they're more suited to being freshwater systems. But the client wants salt? Do they have any salt experience? All well & good, but looks like a recipe for disaster to me.

Last edited by mike31154; 04-02-2015 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:21 AM

I did consider LED but as you saw, it's all integrated so it's not as simple a swap. The client wants saltwater. I'm sure I can make it work. Get his feet wet and with any luck he'll want a bigger tank.

I'll probably do a journal thread once it's up and running. It will be an interesting ride.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:28 AM

Kudos to you! The client is always right I reckon. Looking forward to the journal thread. I'm a bit skeptical about the integrated power heads providing sufficient flow in a tank that long. More challenges than just the lighting! If there's someone that can make this work, it would be you!

Last edited by mike31154; 04-02-2015 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Kudos to you! The client is always right I reckon. Looking forward to the journal thread. I'm a bit skeptical about the integrated power heads providing sufficient flow in a tank that long. More challenges than just the lighting! If there's someone that can make this work, it would be you!
Oh you bet, I have already told the client we will need to add a stronger powerhead, maybe two. You should see the "state of the art" filtration system - those two little powerheads have giant foam blocks stuck onto the bottom of them with bioballs stuffed into little pockets in the foam block.

I don't think the client is always right. I'm always honest, and I put forth the challenges. He's very excited about this tank (it does look very cool where he has it mounted). It gets water and rock today - no light (haha).

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:37 AM

Well if the powerheads need to be upgraded, may as well gut the lights too! NO T5 tubes are going to severely limit livestock choices, even if you are successful in sourcing tubes with a suitable colour spectrum. I assume this is going to be a FOWLR then?

Was almost going to suggest replacing the NO ballasts with some HO jobs, but that would mean more heat & has the potential to void any CSA approval of the fixture that's built in. I guess that would apply for switching to LED as well, the design would need to be carefully thought out so you don't end up being liable for burning the client's house down. Different story if you were building for yourself, although electrical safety standards still apply. Probably wouldn't want to burn your own house down either!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:18 AM

I'm not modding anything on it. The current powerheads might do the trick...they are essentially MJ1200s. You'll have to keep an eye out for the journal thread in a few months to find out what's going in it. Obviously no SPS.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:42 AM

Oh and breakthrough...I got the system running today and two of the bulbs are 20K. Ha whoda thunk! I didn't notice before because the labels were turned around (they come pre-installed). I just need to find something to replace the 10K with maybe 15K.

SPS fanatic.