View Poll Results: what controlling unit do you use
Apex gold 12 25.00%
Apex lite 7 14.58%
reefkeeper 8 16.67%
naw dont use nither 21 43.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2015, 11:09 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

reef keeper hate it tho only does lights and heaters for me wish i would a bought a apex also they don't have mac platform all my computers and laptops mac
Old 03-09-2015, 11:35 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Apex full here. LOVE IT! Email alerts, switching and monitoring capabilities are almost endless, so it grows with you. Love Apex Fusion, so much easier to get all wireless.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:14 AM

RMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Same here. Can't vote.
Same here for the apex full. Can't vote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:59 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

I have the apex lite and love it

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 03-10-2015, 01:09 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Couldn't vote as there is a Reefkeeper Lite with variants, and the Elite with variants

Guess I'm in the minority so far. I use a Reefkeeper Elite.
From what I can tell from posts mine is much easier to program and has all the bell and whistle add-ons like Apex with a brand twist;
Apex supports the Ecotech MP/QD series while DA supports Tunze

DA also has additional modules like Apex;
Moonlights, dc pump controllers, dc light controllers, net modules etc etc ...

I went DA for the price and PC programmability
My unit supports up to 63 modules, and the new Archon supports up to 255 modules
Old 03-10-2015, 01:30 AM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

Another one here for full Apex, gonna run it on my new tank.

I think in a smaller tank with less stuff to mess with, you can get away with it. But for peace of mind and insurance for thousands of dollars of livestock and even your home, a good controller is a worthwhile investment Imo.

Brian
Old 03-10-2015, 01:33 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I used to run a ReefKeeper Elite. It was 1/2 price during a boxing day sale through Digital Aquatics directly . It did everything I needed it to with zero issues for much cheaper than an Apex. I sold it awhile back though as I now just have a FOWLR tank that uses a power and timer just fine. I'll admit though that after paying the long dollar for Ecotech lights with their own built in controls, wave makers with their own built in controls and ATO with it's own controls, having a very expensive controller was less appealing.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:39 AM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road

I use an apex jr.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:00 AM

garwood is on a distinguished road

Im new to the reef scene and i dont understand why the need. My lights are fully programmable, my wavemakers are synced with controllers, my return pump /skimmer stay on 24/7. truthfully the only thing i can see to need a controller for is the heaters and that would be for safety incase heaters break down. I have had tanks all my life and never needed a email to tell me how my tank is doin...pls what am i missing?
Old 03-10-2015, 02:34 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garwood View Post
Im new to the reef scene and i dont understand why the need. My lights are fully programmable, my wavemakers are synced with controllers, my return pump /skimmer stay on 24/7. truthfully the only thing i can see to need a controller for is the heaters and that would be for safety incase heaters break down. I have had tanks all my life and never needed a email to tell me how my tank is doin...pls what am i missing?
My heaters have a controller on them too. I have one set at 78 and then a back up set at 76 that has never come on. According to my thermometer my tank never varies by more than about 1/2 a degree. A controller comes in handy if you are controlling PH or doing something that effects it. An email saying that there is water on the floor or the power has gone out is nice to have as well. Turning off all the pumps for feeding with one button is handy but I have all my pumps on a single power bar so I can do this already without a controller. Being able to see all your tank parameters at once and log any rise and fall cycles can be done with a controller although this also leads to a lot of people constantly messing around with their tanks every time they see a change which can be bad as well. Some people have set up automatic water changes with their controllers as well. So I wouldn't say a controller is a requirement as all the equipment you buy is designed to run just fine by itself but some people just need it for peace of mind and if a hobby isn't relaxing what's the point?