Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 03-14-2014, 10:35 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Google "berlin method"
Old 03-14-2014, 11:19 PM

b09u5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I don't believe that there is such a thing. :-). There are lots of options, all of which you seem to be aware of already.

Maybe set up a poll to see which of the ones you listed seem to be the most trendy these days.
Thanks kein,

I might just take a poll. All I am really looking to know is more of what Mitch is getting at.... the drawbacks of the older denitrators. (Thanks Mitch, those are the pieces of the puzzle that I am missing - along with a few more i bet!)

So far, I hear that they can plug and cause H2S issues and power failures. Other than that, I hear they could keep Nitrates <0.05ppm. If those are the only two drawbacks, and I could solve them, ie: run effulent through GFO to remove the risk of H2S and have the intake line kept open with power (shuts down without), wouldn't that be a good thing?

Or am I a noob, over engineering/overthinking this hobby?
Old 03-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by b09u5 View Post
Thanks kein,
OH NOES.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:23 PM

b09u5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
OH NOES.
kIen,

My apologies.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:30 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

If you go to my tank journal link at the bottom, you will find that I initially battled very high nitrates before finally resorting to bio pellets. Have been running with zero nitrates for about 2 years now, and have not had to open my bio pellet reactor since Nov 2012, more than a year ago.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:48 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy
Default Refugium, anyone?

I'm surprised nopbody mentioned a refugium so far. It's all about reactors, denitrators, etc. Plants will remove nitrates very efficiently. And when I say refugium, I don't mean an afterthought, like a ball of cheato in the sump with a small lamp above. I mean a tank plumbed inline with the display tank with macroalgae to suck the nutrients out of the water column.

Another solution is an algae scrubber. Whether it's a waterfall style (in the sump) or upflow type, it's not that relevant, they are both good means of nutrient export.

I have an inline refugium behind the DT with a small chamber in it where I run an upflow algae scrubber. I have to go and prune it weekly, but my nitrates are undetectable. For phosphates I run Rowaphos, but that's another topic altogether.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
I'm surprised nopbody mentioned a refugium so far. It's all about reactors, denitrators, etc. Plants will remove nitrates very efficiently. And when I say refugium, I don't mean an afterthought, like a ball of cheato in the sump with a small lamp above. I mean a tank plumbed inline with the display tank with macroalgae to suck the nutrients out of the water column.
I tried that, as per my journal,... didn't work. I think refugiums are fun to do, and work if your nitrates are not that high to start with. But for serious and guaranteed nitrate control, can't beat bio pellets.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Banned

denny_C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
I tried that, as per my journal,... didn't work. I think refugiums are fun to do, and work if your nitrates are not that high to start with. But for serious and guaranteed nitrate control, can't beat bio pellets.
agreed

plants will only absorb so much , on a 10g tank its fine but on larger system with high bioloads carbon dosing is the way to go

have you thought about VSV? some of the older school methods are still the best today
Old 03-14-2014, 11:59 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I have about 200g total water volume, maybe 100 pounds rock. I also run zeo part time. Meaning I forget to do anything with it for months at a time, which translates to "you can quit anytime you like".
I have never had measurable NO3 in 4 years. I attribute that to quality rock that I keep clean with lots of flow. I also have near 0 coralline on the rock, which IMO plugs up the pores reaching the anaerobic bacteria.
I change about 25% water volume bi-weekly and have never vacuumed my sand bed. Seems easy enough to me
Old 03-15-2014, 12:09 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
and have never vacuumed my sand bed. Seems easy enough to me
You don't have to vacuum with sugar sand...
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller