Nano is on a distinguished road

looks great buddy I bet your glad to finally have life in there
Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 AM

ryanb69 is on a distinguished road

absolutley! cant wait to add my next fish, a bangaii cardinal

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80050
Old 03-14-2012, 12:33 AM

what a crazy past day it has been. So its been a while since my last post, But the tank WAS coming along great. everything was awesome, until yesterday evening around 5pm I heard water running in my house. I checked the tap and everything was fine, untill I noticed water on the floor. Lots of water. I immediatly ran to my tank, and couldnt see any leaks what so ever, but 1/4 of the tank wate was gone. Then, I opened the bottom of my stand. A river was flowing out of my tank and directly onto my new hardwood floor 5g total of water spewed onto the floor. I caught the rest of the water in 5gallon pails and had an insane evening trying to keep my fish/shrimp alive. I will get into more details with my next post, but in general I sped to petsmart and got a new 20g tank, and the ALL THE FISH AND SHRIMP ARE IN THEIR NEW HOME ALIVE. The cause of the problem? The bottom of my old tank had a massive crack in the BOTTOM PANE. I found this extremely odd as my stand was completely level. I will post pics and any more details next post.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:39 AM

sucky deal man. hope you get everything sorted out!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:22 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

It's a good thing you found out fast, I hope your floor wasn't damaged. Anyways.... it's time to upgrade to a bigger tank
Old 03-18-2012, 12:45 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Crappy to hear about the busted tank! That sucks, just be thankful it wasn't a bigger tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb69 View Post
Wow! how far the tank has come in 2 short weeks amazed me. The coraline algae has spread all over and now all my rock is turning purple
Sorry to say that is not coralline, it is cyanobacteria. Coralline doesn't grow that fast, plus the bubbles in it are a telltale sign. The dead shrimp you started with was rather large for the size of the tank, so there is likely to be an abundance on nutrients in the water now. A couple fairly large waterchanges (25-50%) should help fix that for you.

Are you on SaskReef? If so, what's your name over there? I haven't noticed a build thread over there.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Sorry to say that is not coralline, it is cyanobacteria.
Thanks for the tip!

Well today I will finally post some pictures and details of my tank disaster. I was sitting on my couch watching tv when I heard water running in my house. I looked at my sink to check if it was on, but it wasn't. Then I looked at my tank to see that it was only 3/4 full. I stood up and noticed water all over the floor. When I opened cupboard doors to my stand there was a river of water pouring out. I took my water change buckets and started catching the water. I caught one pail, then dumped that water in the toilet and switched out pails. I filled one pail up with my liverock, and then set it under the stand to fill up with the tanks water. Then I netted my fish, shrimp, and crabbed my corals/which snails i could see and put them in a water pitcher with water from the tank. Then with my final 5gal pail I put the remaining live rock, my sand, and caught the rest of the water from the tank. I drove to petsmart and purchased a new 20gal tank with the same dimensions as mine so the light would fit. Before i put it on my stand i checked it again with a level and it was perfect so I set the tank on the stand, and started to aquascape my liverock.

after my first pail was in I dumped the water from the pail in and added a heater to the main tank. The water in my pitcher with the fish was down to 73 degrees, so i added a very small heater to that.

Now that i had a pail free I mixed some new salt water and started heating it. Then I took my final pail of liverock and added to the aquascape, dumped in the water, and dumped in the sand.

I forgot about the heater in my pitcher (rookie mistake) and it managed to heat up to 79 way faster then it should have. I removed the heater and added it to the main tank along with the pail of new mixed salt water. The rest of the evening consisted of switching my small heater bewteen big tank and pitcher every 5 to 10 mins to attempt to keep the pitcher at a constant heat. Finally in about 1.5 hours the main tank was the same tamp as the pitcher so i added the livestock. I then added a powerhead, but the tank was not full enough to run my skimmer.

I mixed one more pail of salt water but it was 1:00 am and I didn't have time to wait for it to heat up (I had a university midterm the next morning at 8:30) so I left it heat over night and i called it a day. The next morning i added the new water and plugged all my electronics back in.

Since then the tank has become crystal clear and everything seems completely happy. I really like my new aquascape, so that is a bonus. A big thanks to my brother Nathan (nastaynatron) who called my during the chaos and gave me the right info on how to save my fish

--my house in chaos

---the crack

Old 03-18-2012, 06:14 PM

NastayNatron is on a distinguished road

Well done man! I'm glad too see you lost nothing! It was a chaotic evening thats for sure. The new tank is looking good already! Keep up the good work man.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 AM

Since my last post I had a tank move (just from the upper level of my house to the basement). I syphoned out about 4/5 of the water into 5gal pails, then took out the top peices of my live rock and put them in the water. Me and my roomie carried the stand down stairs then the tank, then added the water and the rock and Booya, tank is downstairs lol. Yesterday I went to Bayside corals and picked up a candycane coral, a green star polyp, and a pulsing xenia. I also got 4 more astrea and a electric blue hermit crab.My duncan is a little flustered with all the new activity, but besides that Everything is looking awesome! the only downer is my new blue hermit only lasted one night, lol so a short lived life for him. Here are some pics!!

ps- each frag was $10

RIP HERMIE

xenia

gsp

candy cane

Old 03-23-2012, 01:49 AM

looks great dude, glad to hear you back on course

Tags
20gal, buildthread, mixed, nano, reef