Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-29-2013, 01:03 AM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

I think a little complexity can make aquarium maintenance simpler. Controllers, hard plumbing for water changes, auto skimmer cleaners, fancy reactors etc may be seen as added complexity on the surface, but they make life a bit easier.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:51 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegr View Post
I think a little complexity can make aquarium maintenance simpler. Controllers, hard plumbing for water changes, auto skimmer cleaners, fancy reactors etc may be seen as added complexity on the surface, but they make life a bit easier.
Very true! Also, I think we all have varying opinions on what "complex" means. To me a calcium reactor seems complex but I know a lot of people would completely disagree.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:36 AM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

Great thread. I'm new to reef keeping but I researched for years before taking the plunge from fresh water. My tank is doing okay but I have learned that I don't know as much as I think I did.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:41 PM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

Have a look at this photo. A gaming console should cost aprox $400 in today's costs of living (called net present value). Gaming consoles is not alone. We can recall the cost of a movie and a dinner bill.

In comparison, prices in the aquarium hobby has not risen as fast as inflation, and I suspect because hobby growth has not been at the same pace as inflation. Prices SHOULD grow if industry is growing at the same pace as inflation.

I guess this is good for hobbyists... but it sure makes it a heck of a hard time for breeders, small businesses when costs and overhead keeps rising. I have friends that farm clownfish in Florida, and I shake my head every time I get their price list... their prices haven't changed in years. I sure would bet their costs only went up.

Meanwhile, for those who have been around, see if you can recall... how much was a clownfish 10 yrs ago compared to today? Flame angel? A Coral Beauty? Average wild LPS like a bubble coral or 5 head Euphyllia? A standard 55 gal aquarium? A tin of flake food? A 500ml bottle of Seachem supplement? A bucket of salt?

Old 12-30-2013, 06:53 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Geek View Post
Have a look at this photo. A gaming console should cost aprox $400 in today's costs of living (called net present value). Gaming consoles is not alone. We can recall the cost of a movie and a dinner bill.

In comparison, prices in the aquarium hobby has not risen as fast as inflation, and I suspect because hobby growth has not been at the same pace as inflation. Prices SHOULD grow if industry is growing at the same pace as inflation.

I guess this is good for hobbyists... but it sure makes it a heck of a hard time for breeders, small businesses when costs and overhead keeps rising. I have friends that farm clownfish in Florida, and I shake my head every time I get their price list... their prices haven't changed in years. I sure would bet their costs only went up.

Meanwhile, for those who have been around, see if you can recall... how much was a clownfish 10 yrs ago compared to today? Flame angel? A Coral Beauty? Average wild LPS like a bubble coral or 5 head Euphyllia? A standard 55 gal aquarium? A tin of flake food? A 500ml bottle of Seachem supplement? A bucket of salt?

Haha wow I've owned 14 of those consoles
Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

When I bought my 33 gallon in 1998 for light/tank/stand/Aquaclear filter I paid $700 now you can pick up same tank with beginner starter kit(food, lights, net, filter, water additives) and a basic stand for roughly $300

As for the game consoles I had Commodore 64, Nes and N64 before I went to computers haven't owned another console since nor do I want one.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:28 PM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
When I bought my 33 gallon in 1998 for light/tank/stand/Aquaclear filter I paid $700 now you can pick up same tank with beginner starter kit(food, lights, net, filter, water additives) and a basic stand for roughly $300

As for the game consoles I had Commodore 64, Nes and N64 before I went to computers haven't owned another console since nor do I want one.
$700 for a 33 gal kit sounds high. I was selling these basic kits at a LFS in Halifax in '98 for less than $200 (no stand). I wonder if there was a 'lack of local competition' in your neck of the woods in '98
Old 12-30-2013, 07:48 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Was two pet stores at that time neither was particularly cheap Total pet and other name escapes me and for a short time had pet cetra before they went under. Next closest major centre with bulk pet supplies was 6 hrs away in Kamloops
Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

When I first got into the hobby I know Calgary locals stores had horrendous pricing on hardware. I didn't know about / trust mail order enough to save more than 50% off my local store prices.

But price is determined by the market. We offer a 20 clown fish today simply because there are more prevalent on the distributors list because of more suppliers. (Wild caught or captive) or demand was lowered so price followed suit. Simple Economics. I would definitely say that competition has definitely had an impact on the retails stores profit margins, but that just goes back to supply and demand.

I know hardware prices continually get lower due to technological improvements, efficiencies in the manufacturing process, etc. Also China is now able to sell direct to our market, so I am expecting prices to come down even lower to match closer to the Jebao line of products etc.