Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-11-2011, 02:06 AM

ColinD is on a distinguished road
Default A desperate time calls for desperate measures

Okay so maybe not quite that dramatic, but I've been battling anthelia for many months/years now, have tried everything from scrubbing rocks, blow torch, kalk paste, to zapping them with a home made aiptaisia zapper with absolutely no luck, they just come back. Have been reading on RC about using 'fluke tabs' to rid them from aquariums, biggest problem being is that they (Fluke Tabs) are now out of production, wondering if anyone might have a secret stash or have seen any in their LFS. I only need 1 tab for my 30gal and after reading up on the treatment I'm pretty confident that it won't effect my predominately SPS inhabited reef (hate to say it but I'm willing to see a loss or two if it means eradication of this pest). Any help is appreciated.

Colin
Old 12-11-2011, 03:32 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Check out this site Colin

http://www.gotkoi.com/koi_medication/fluke.html

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 12-11-2011, 03:54 AM

Thanks Greg, from what I've read these tabs are no longer produced and are certainly not available in Canada or available for shipping to Canada, but will check these guys out. Was hoping someone might have a tablet or two they might be willing to part with.

Colin

Last edited by ColinD; 12-11-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:55 AM

dreef is on a distinguished road

Send me a pm shhhhh
Old 12-11-2011, 02:04 PM

PM Sent
Old 12-11-2011, 04:04 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Oh my...that's a potent product that I would not dare use in my reef! you're brave.

I used to use it for my discus when they had flukes and finally went with permaganate potassium treatment as the fluke tabs was way too harsh on the poor fish. They would lose all their coloration and I had a few dead fish wherea I never lost a fish from the PP treatment. I wish I would have had those warnings available before I used the product then:

"Do not use on tropical fish from the Amazon River. Discuses are particularly sensitive. There is significant toxicity of the Carbamates to certain fish, most notably Discus and Catfish, who may be affected adversely."

I can attest that's true.

When I think that I am doing all I can to have these blue anthelia covering every available inches of my liverock! And some people are willing to wreak avok in their tank to get rid of it...wow.

BTW, did you try putting activated carbon? People report the total decline of the blue clove when using carbon.

Last edited by daniella3d; 12-11-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
Oh my...that's a potent product that I would not dare use in my reef! you're brave.

I used to use it for my discus when they had flukes and finally went with permaganate potassium treatment as the fluke tabs was way too harsh on the poor fish. They would lose all their coloration and I had a few dead fish wherea I never lost a fish from the PP treatment. I wish I would have had those warnings available before I used the product then:

"Do not use on tropical fish from the Amazon River. Discuses are particularly sensitive. There is significant toxicity of the Carbamates to certain fish, most notably Discus and Catfish, who may be affected adversely."

I can attest that's true.

When I think that I am doing all I can to have these blue anthelia covering every available inches of my liverock! And some people are willing to wreak avok in their tank to get rid of it...wow.

BTW, did you try putting activated carbon? People report the total decline of the blue clove when using carbon.
At this stage in the game I'm willing to take a chance, I do not have any shrimp or soft corals in my system and the few Zoa's that I do have are covered in anthelia, it is actually attaching itself to the polyps.

I have tried carbon, it did effect a colony of pulsing zenia (that I traded away) but no luck with the anthelia, tried a filefish but it showed no interest in it.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:50 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Oh I see. It's not the same thing that I tought you had and not the same thing that I have. The blue clove polyps growing in my tank and within my zoanthids are not bothering them and are much smaller and all blue.

I can understand why you want to kill them as those are ugly and big with long stalk and they seem to be upsetting your zoanthids.

Those look like nice palythoas with striped skin, what are they??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinD View Post
At this stage in the game I'm willing to take a chance, I do not have any shrimp or soft corals in my system and the few Zoa's that I do have are covered in anthelia, it is actually attaching itself to the polyps.

I have tried carbon, it did effect a colony of pulsing zenia (that I traded away) but no luck with the anthelia, tried a filefish but it showed no interest in it.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:25 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Move your rock to a dark location for a couple of weeks. The anthelia will then easily peel off of the rock. You can do one at a time if all of them at once is not feasible. At one point nearly every exposed inch of my rock that wasn't occupied by other coral had anthelia on it. Now I no longer have any in my tank.

2007 I think

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 12-11-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Move your rock to a dark location for a couple of weeks. The anthelia will then easily peel off of the rock. You can do one at a time if all of them at once is not feasible. At one point nearly every exposed inch of my rock that wasn't occupied by other coral had anthelia on it. Now I no longer have any in my tank.
Unfortunately thats not an option at the moment, still a couple months away from my upgrade. Have never been able to peel any of this off the rock, it seems to grow as individual polyps and not the mats that everyone refers to.

Daniella, I believe they are ppe's