Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-02-2003, 06:35 AM

CHEAPREEF is on a distinguished road
Default Black sand for DSB?

Anybody have any info on using black sand for a reef tank. Any pics ect? I know it wont have any of the buffering effects but that's what a reactor is for. Just thought i'd try something different. Thanks for any input.

Clinton
Old 05-02-2003, 06:55 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

I'd use some caution....lots of info on black sand in general in this thread

for example...http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...ght=black+sand
Old 05-02-2003, 01:41 PM

Yep, read that but thanks for the link. I'm looking at using this, http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...alogno=cs-astm But i wanted some opinions as to whether it would look good, or if anyone had any experience with black sand.

Clinton
Old 05-02-2003, 03:35 PM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

Hi Clinton, well a friend of mine brought me back 20lbs of black sand from Costa Rica a few years back. Instead of doing all my research on this stuff, I simply added it to my tank. Then after only a few days I spoke with a buddy of mine who has various degree's with metals. He told me that black sand is volcanic, which even though it's found around some exotic reefs around the world, it is however high in metal content.
The number one being Iron, which mix this metal with SW and you spell big trouble in a small closed system such as a reef tank.
I didn't believe his words until I dropped my cleaning magnet into the sand just to see for myself. Well after I picked up the magnet it was completly covered with metal like shavings all over

So IMO I would stay away from any kind of black sand, even if it says reef safe on the bag, just to be safe

cheers, Rich

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium
Old 05-02-2003, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpfinfishe
Hi Clinton, well a friend of mine brought me back 20lbs of black sand from Costa Rica a few years back. Instead of doing all my research on this stuff, I simply added it to my tank. Then after only a few days I spoke with a buddy of mine who has various degree's with metals. He told me that black sand is volcanic, which even though it's found around some exotic reefs around the world, it is however high in metal content.
The number one being Iron, which mix this metal with SW and you spell big trouble in a small closed system such as a reef tank.
I didn't believe his words until I dropped my cleaning magnet into the sand just to see for myself. Well after I picked up the magnet it was completly covered with metal like shavings all over

So IMO I would stay away from any kind of black sand, even if it says reef safe on the bag, just to be safe

OK thanks, not what i wanted to hear , but it's the info i needed before i lost another tank.

Clinton

cheers, Rich
Old 05-02-2003, 07:16 PM
UnderWorldAquatics

Ive done the magnet test with the black CaribSea Tahitian Moon. It stuck to the magnet a bit,(a Great White by Algae Free, Very Very Very strong magnet!!!) But Ive also used the Tahitian Moon in a reef with no ill affects, corals did well, fish were healthy, no algae problems, macro algae grew well. Id use it again! Actually Im setting up a Nano Reef with the Tahitian Moon right now... I also use it in freshwater tanks with Arrowanas, Stingrays, and Vampire Tetras(Rhaphiodon vulpinus), as well as Discus.
Never had a problem with it...
Old 05-02-2003, 10:52 PM

eposer is on a distinguished road

Having a black sand bed will decrease the brightness of your tank significantly and add to the water temperature by absorbing light. I know from experienc with a fresh water tank I once had. It started out with black, then I switched to white and it became a whole lot brighter. It would look pretty cool though

Evan.