View Poll Results: Which one would last the longest
Wood 19 27.94%
Steel 49 72.06%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Banned

Basile is on a distinguished road
Question Wood Vs Steel

I was going to buy my stand for my tank as everybody does in wood, you know black panel we see everywhere, but then someone told me they had steel one as good and cheaper.

Mine in wood was $ 499 for my 150g and the steel one is $289 black finish and they say it will out last the wood one and its not galvanized i asked. Anybody have a steel one can verify that they're as good as wood and outlast them?

I would think they would rust , wood don't rust. Its certainly sturdy now but in 5-10 years.... can i paint it while the tank is runing?? Any comment or advice on that choice.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:21 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

The wood stands you typically buy at LFSs aren't really wood at all being that they are made from MDF which has no business near water. It'll swell and bow over time. Metal stands will likely rust but it's pretty superficial surface rust and it won't effect strength. So typically metal out lasts wood but metal stands can be harder and more expensive to dress so price wise I wouldn't say metal is cheaper.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:23 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basile View Post
I would think they would rust , wood don't rust.
The steel stand should not rust if it is sufficiently coated with an appropriate water resistant paint. Wood does not rust but is susceptible to water/moisture damage.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 PM

JmeJReefer is on a distinguished road

Steel stand will last for a very long time. Proper coating and u should be set for 10yrs +.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Banned

Lightbulb Powder

Someone just sent me a message about powdered steel , a type of emal put on the steel and cooked in an oven and it bonds on the steel itself and creates a barrier, but has to be done before painting. Never heard of that one before. I would have to have the stand made up by a welder with raw steel first.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 PM

Alberta-newb is on a distinguished road

As a former stand builder and currently an industrial painter I'm obviously biased

I feel strongly that steel will last virtually forever if prepared properly (I warranty any stands I have built in the past and will continue to cover them for many more years.

The "powder paint" you are referring to is called powder coating and is indeed a very durable coating. Personally I'm not a huge fan of it as it isn't indestructible as people claim and once you notice rust, it's likely pretty far gone as it travels and grows beneath the coating. We remove a lot of old powder coat at work and 9 times out of 10 rust spots on the surface indicate a badly pitted surface underneath. Also refinishing powder coat is a pain as it can't be touched up, but rather removed entirely (we use abrasive blasting). Cost wise, it can be even cheaper than a quality paint job as its a pretty competitive market right now.

If you decide on a steel stand, look for details like closed (mitred) corners instead of open tube ends (impossible to get a decent coating inside and rust traps). Also check the build quality in terms of design. I've seen store sold stands where the weight of the tank is supported only by a half inch weld. Check that the weight is transferred from the top through the uprights (hope that makes sense).

That being said, a quality wood stand should last as well and is easier to match your decor.

Francis
Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 PM

Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basile View Post
Someone just sent me a message about powdered steel , a type of emal put on the steel and cooked in an oven and it bonds on the steel itself and creates a barrier, but has to be done before painting. Never heard of that one before. I would have to have the stand made up by a welder with raw steel first.
Are you sure its not powdered coating they are talking about?
It is basically a paint that is baked on at 400° rather than cured with solvents evaporating like typical paint.

edited:

yeah, what ALBERTA-NEWB said.
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank

Last edited by Ross; 07-26-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta-newb View Post
As a former stand builder and currently an industrial painter I'm obviously biased

I feel strongly that steel will last virtually forever if prepared properly (I warranty any stands I have built in the past and will continue to cover them for many more years.

The "powder paint" you are referring to is called powder coating and is indeed a very durable coating. Personally I'm not a huge fan of it as it isn't indestructible as people claim and once you notice rust, it's likely pretty far gone as it travels and grows beneath the coating. We remove a lot of old powder coat at work and 9 times out of 10 rust spots on the surface indicate a badly pitted surface underneath. Also refinishing powder coat is a pain as it can't be touched up, but rather removed entirely (we use abrasive blasting). Cost wise, it can be even cheaper than a quality paint job as its a pretty competitive market right now.

If you decide on a steel stand, look for details like closed (mitred) corners instead of open tube ends (impossible to get a decent coating inside and rust traps). Also check the build quality in terms of design. I've seen store sold stands where the weight of the tank is supported only by a half inch weld. Check that the weight is transferred from the top through the uprights (hope that makes sense).

That being said, a quality wood stand should last as well and is easier to match your decor.

Francis
Thanks for the tips will do. But from the reviews of others in the different sites i red; Miracle Aquariums from TO, make good stands, they're the ones making my starfire tanks and stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Are you sure its not powdered coating they are talking about?
It is basically a paint that is baked on at 400° rather than cured with solvents evaporating like typical paint.

edited:

yeah, what ALBERTA-NEWB said.
Yes that's it lol sorry about that never heard of that before .

Thanks guys.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
The steel stand should not rust if it is sufficiently coated with an appropriate water resistant paint. Wood does not rust but is susceptible to water/moisture damage.
agreed
Old 07-26-2013, 10:26 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
True but if you paint wood with water resistant paint it won't water damage either.

Tags
rust, saltwater, stand, steel, wood