Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-01-2018, 03:49 PM

Frank Infanti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanerickson View Post
flatworn exit does nothing for aefw
What would you recommend if it is? I tried dipping last night and I couldn't really identify them.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 03:59 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

Hey Frank, I really hope are not aefw, they can be very nasty and will take some time to remove ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 04:19 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Infanti View Post
What would you recommend if it is? I tried dipping last night and I couldn't really identify them.

if it is aefw all sps will need to be removed and dipped every 5 days or so about 8 times. can you not get us a closeup pic of a frag or 2 ? you can also look for clutches of eggs on bottom of plugs or right on the edge of the sps skin. eggs will be brown.
if you do find them it may be easier to just throw the sps out as there pretty though to loose.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:07 PM

Frank Infanti is on a distinguished road

I through some of the sps which were looking really bad out such as the birdsnest. Cannot see any brown eggs at all. Will try to take a pic & will take a closer look tonight.

It looks like the coral are dying off similar to my last crash a year ago. How long is a life cycle of flat worms when no other sps are left. Can they attack LPS & zoas?

Old 01-02-2018, 02:15 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

It is not Aefw if your birdnest is equally affected. Aefw are host specific.

That does not mean you do not have Aefw it only means that Aefw did not cause the decline in your birdnest. Many well seasoned veteran reefers have Aefw and don't even know it.

When you have decline in different species of corals it is likely water quality or water stability issues.

A nitrate of 25ppm will not cause a decline in your corals as noted on its own, nor will your lighting. There are lots of reefers who are successful with higher nitrates then 25ppm.

Your parameters on their own appear to be fine, however they are only a snapshot of your tank at that given moment in time. More important then the individual parameters are the stability of those parameters. You can be equally successful with a alkalinity if 7.5dkh as with an alkalinity of 11dkh. You will never be successful if your alkalinity is swinging from 7.5 to 11dkh.

Changing your lighting, changing your husbandry techniques or changing your filtration to try to find a cure will only lead to more instability in your system. Try to find a method that you want to use and stick to it.

Given that you have been unsuccessful before in keeping Sps you are demonstrating that you may not be able to provide these corals with the stability they require in order to not only survive but to thrive.

You appear to be successful with LPS. Lps have more of a tolerance to changes then most Sps. Maybe the best option is to continue with LPS and start with easier sps like pocillopora. Once you have mastered these, good colour, good growth then move on to some of the easier monti's and acro's.

The longer you take (many months or even years) and the more patience you demonstrate the more successful you will be. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:02 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Was reading through the thread and maybe I missed this point. Did your sps slowly peel from the base up or did the flesh rip almost immediately to skeleton. I found when I had higher nutrients (nitrates and phosphates) some more sought after sps would STN. Most of pieces were fine and would just brown out, the rapid change as frogger mentioned is the worst thing.

Is there much swing in your alk during your wc? Also how often are you currently doing your WC? Your sump setup is clean and it seems like your successful with your lps corals so it appears it has to be something the sps won’t tolerate.

Hopefully you can post a couple photos and we can offer more suggestions for you.