Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-30-2012, 04:26 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

Personally and this is none of my business but a smaller easier setup to maintain would be better. If they give up on the yearly costs to maintain. And 50 grand could do a lot more good for kids with new equipment for treating.

Don't get me wrong I think it's a great idea the kids would definitely love it. I just worry for the long term with equipment failure and tank crashes. I do hope it works out for you tho

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 12-30-2012, 04:46 AM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

This is a great idea; a tank like that would be relaxing and keep their attention for quite some time.

As expensive and challenging as building and stocking a tank like this is, it's really the easy and inexpensive part. Operating and maintaining it is the real kicker. The hospital will need long term commitment from someone they can finger for all aspect of the tanks' care. Electrical, water, salt, food, etc. all need to be accounted for as well.

From the hospital's perspective, this could only be considered if all those factors were suitable accounted for -and that's going to be difficult.

I hope this pans out but don't be discouraged if it doesn't. Bureaucracy is almost as powerful as the ocean itself.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:10 AM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

I really like the idea as we all know how amazing and relaxing tanks can be.
however, I don't know how practical it will be.
I am not trying to speak for the other stores in the city, but that is a huge investment in time and money for a fishstore to commit to if you are looking at it as a donation.
that is a lot of man hours to maintain a 600 gallon tank.
I would look at supporting it with some free fish or corals..but wouldn't consider taking this on personally as a store sponsor.
once again, a great idea if it comes to reality.
but a huge commitment on all sides.

Last edited by howdy20012002; 12-30-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 AM

tgrover is on a distinguished road

Hi Neal.

Yes.yes. yes, we will need all the help we can get, We are going to work hard at this and I will carry most of the costs. My main concern is giving the kid something cool... not a boring tank.. we have all seen that in our doctor and dentist's offices.

What I am looking for is backing and financial support to push this. We are not looking for anything other than passionate tank enthusiasts.

We are open to any suggestions.

Tim
Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
This is a great idea; a tank like that would be relaxing and keep their attention for quite some time.

As expensive and challenging as building and stocking a tank like this is, it's really the easy and inexpensive part. Operating and maintaining it is the real kicker. The hospital will need long term commitment from someone they can finger for all aspect of the tanks' care. Electrical, water, salt, food, etc. all need to be accounted for as well.

From the hospital's perspective, this could only be considered if all those factors were suitable accounted for -and that's going to be difficult.

I hope this pans out but don't be discouraged if it doesn't. Bureaucracy is almost as powerful as the ocean itself.
Thinking the same here. As wonderful of an idea as I think it is... it is just not practical and as some one stated the money could be used for new/or better equipment.

I wish you all the best with this.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Maybe an RSM250 would be a more practical sell to the Stollery? All in one, easier to maintain, smaller footprint,etc
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

As someone that spends way too much time in the Pediatric ICU, I know that 50k worth of equipment is a much greater donation than a reef tank. That equipment kept my daughter alive last month, which is much more important that spending it on a tank. Yes, a tank is nice and kids like looking at it for a few minutes, but the suggested RSM might be a better alternative. Just my opinion as a parent of a kid that spends too many days in the hospital.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:56 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
As someone that spends way too much time in the Pediatric ICU, I know that 50k worth of equipment is a much greater donation than a reef tank. That equipment kept my daughter alive last month, which is much more important that spending it on a tank. Yes, a tank is nice and kids like looking at it for a few minutes, but the suggested RSM might be a better alternative. Just my opinion as a parent of a kid that spends too many days in the hospital.
+1 totally agree with you Brad. Also, while its a nice thought, the money would be way better spent on equipment.

FYI I've seen really cool 30g reef fish tanks, that I'm sure the children would find interesting to look at.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:01 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

One concern I see is what if the tank blows out, who covers the damage and what happens God forbid someone gets hurt.

Def nice to see someone wanting to do so much but I agree that maybe the hospital would do better with the money towards things they desperately need.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I guess my question is why? Sure, it's an impressive undertaking, but are we trying to impress someone? I know that supplying suction catheters isn't as grandeur, but trust me, there's a shortage. More times than not, I've had to come home to get supplies that the hospital just didn't have. My daughter needed 8 dosing pumps and a ventilator, not to mention just one food supplement that's $1000/day to supply. 50k can feed kids like that for less than 2 months.
And without full time supervision, a 600g tank is going to look like a large version of that dentist's tank in no time at all. Anyone that has a large tank will tell you it's not a part time job to maintain.
Really, if your heart is in helping the kids, buy them a biocube and some suction catheters.