Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 PM

jasond is on a distinguished road

I keep a 60g in my condo, and I am on the second floor. I think the rules vary depending on your building/condo board, but this was the biggest I felt comfortable with. When I decide to go bigger it will be in a house with a basement with nowhere to leak but a drain in the floor (just in case)
Old 10-29-2008, 02:53 PM

steve fedyk is on a distinguished road

I had a 120g in my condo. I was on the second floor but was still on a concert floor, and no one below me. When I checked with strata they wanted to know were I wanted to place the tank. The tank foot print could not be more then 200 psi. So I made my stand 7' long to house all my equipment with a plywood bottom and lined the inside will a liner.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:09 PM

reptile guy is on a distinguished road

Should be able to put a good 300 gallons without issue. The thing that always baffles me is why would the tank crumble a floor made out of 2x10's standing on end (each 2x10 is capable of supporting a very large amount of weight) when it's not crumbling the store bought stand made out of cheap practically unreinforced plywood? If an allglass stand can support a 210 gallon (I'm sure we've all seen all glass stands lol) then why wouldn't your floor be able too. Most buildings are over engineered and should be able to easily support the weight of a car and or having 20 people standing together for a photo. If your stand isn't crumbling then neither should your floor so go big! lol
Old 10-29-2008, 03:40 PM

Drock169 is on a distinguished road

my strata says a reasonable number of fish or other small aquatic animals, so I chose a few large fish in a 125.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:36 PM

Telford is on a distinguished road

I have a 80g cylinder right in the middle of the floor. My building is all concrete however. Just make sure that you are covered by insurance.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road
Default Go

Go for it, who would ever know....Drip, Drip, Drip, opps: huge flood. My vote would be for
denial. Must have come from the floor above. Oh ya, better get a big rotti on the way back from LFS, (replacment of tank. lol) Tee Hee!
Leah
________
VAPORIZER

Last edited by Leah; 01-20-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 PM

bleevin is on a distinguished road

Alright... thanks for the replies... I'll try for a 75g or 90g then.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:35 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleevin View Post
Alright... thanks for the replies... I'll try for a 75g or 90g then.
Probably for the best. For people not in the hobby an aquarium 50 gallons + is considered large.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:45 AM

dkcrx is on a distinguished road

I lived at cascade green in Abbotsford, had a 250G, a 125, a 90 a 45 and 2 30gal. all on the ground floor above the underground parking.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Banned

dabandit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptile guy View Post
Should be able to put a good 300 gallons without issue. The thing that always baffles me is why would the tank crumble a floor made out of 2x10's standing on end (each 2x10 is capable of supporting a very large amount of weight) when it's not crumbling the store bought stand made out of cheap practically unreinforced plywood? If an allglass stand can support a 210 gallon (I'm sure we've all seen all glass stands lol) then why wouldn't your floor be able too. Most buildings are over engineered and should be able to easily support the weight of a car and or having 20 people standing together for a photo. If your stand isn't crumbling then neither should your floor so go big! lol
Simple a 2x10 is 10'' on end a stand is about 36'' on end lol also a stand spans far less distance than a floor joist....get it?