Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: What do you use to control humidity?
I don't use anything (I'm lucky) 70 44.59%
Humidex 1 0.64%
HRV 15 9.55%
Big exhaust fan 18 11.46%
Dehumidifier(s) 46 29.30%
Something else (please explain) 12 7.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 PM

Keri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
In total honesty unless you have use for the aquatic controller for your fish tank or already have a profilux it is an expensive way to control just humidity, having said that if you do want to control the humidity around the fish room and do want a controller this is one hell of an awesome and then cost effective control method.
I am not that "technical" about my tank...yet. But it is definately something I would consider in the future - less room for human error!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveless View Post
I am lucky enough to live in the prairies where humidity isnt a concern in the winter. I have a fantech fr100, which says it draws 19Watts. I vent it outside in the summer and vent it internally for the winter. Keeps the humidity up during those dry prairie winters for sure. Oh and my tank is a 180gal with about a couple of gallons of topoff /day.
I think I would have to vent outside in winter and inside in summer as it's the reverse here, winters are humid and summer is dryer. i have NO humidity issiues in the summer as all of my windows are always open. That could work...
Old 02-16-2009, 11:49 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Oddly enough we don't have a problem with humidity. With over 350 gallons of water in the family room I fully expected to have to put in some kind of de-humidifier, but as of yet there is no problem. Air is comfortable, no sweating windows. We have air conditioning on in the summer and the unit has a dehumidifier built-in, so I wasn't worried about the summer months, but why there is no humidity in the winter I have no idea.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Windows open a crack when home, dehumidifier when not.

Edit: Oh ya, the bathroom fan. Have that on a timer. Runs 3 hours on, 1 off. In a condo. I also took the dooorsill away from my front door to the hallway.

Cheers,

Last edited by Johnny Reefer; 02-17-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Not much of a problem for humidity in the winter even with about 200g but have a switch (may be Code) that turns on the bathroom fan and furnace, which draws in dry outside air via the fresh air intake if wanted. I also have a exhaust fan in the fish room that have planned to put on a humidistat but never bothered. Both obviously not that energy efficient so have considered a HRV (here's a good link, (and at the booklet at the end good as well)) but then again haven't bothered as humidity okay.

For summer find the central AC keeps things in check.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:49 AM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I wish I had more humidity. Even with the tank, a humidifier on the furnace and two tower humidifiers in the house I struggle to keep it above 35%.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 02-17-2009, 12:58 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Not sure how humidity is not a concern on the prairie? Thats where its the most concern, as we have cold winters. Unless ones house leaks like a sieve. Yes, its dry air outside but its needs to be brought in to the house and exchanged with the humid house air that needs venting.

At least this has always been my experience and most other well built houses I have seen, with or without aquariums. And an HRV is the way to go, bar none. A Humidex may be fine but I will ask again, for the 100th time, , how does it differ from an exaust fan for humidity and opening a window for replacement air.

De-humidifiers are not cost effective and dont work well in the winter in the cold. Now for Keri that lives on the west coast, I dont know for sure how an HRV will do, as it relies on dry outside air in the winter. Thats why they are not much more than an air exchanger in the summer and actually should not be run if central air, which is the best summer humidity fixer upper, is being ran.

Perhaps an exchanger like the Humidex may work well on the coast? Or just one of the fancy exaust systems many run on their tanks out there already.

But when winter is winter and your house is sealed up like they should be now, HRV is the best. As a matter of fact I thought they were going to be code in all new places now. I do know most new homes have them installed in cold climates. They just cannot breath without them and thus it affects us. And this is in homes with normal humidity concerns.

Another good option for winter, is a good wood stove. That really moves moisture out and drys the air. But not feasable in most applications.

Or do as I have now. {my last several homes all had hrv,s installed}. I have a central exaust system which works well and make up air comes in via the furnaace freash air intake. Now not very efficient but does ok. However it was not enough for my larger tanks, so I now run a 20 or 30g size. If I had ordered a new place instead of the display we had purchased, I would have had an hrv installed at the factory.

Anywho, thats some of my views and experience. Take it FWIW.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:13 AM

Keri is on a distinguished road

Lance: Boo on you, I don't even like you! (Kidding - I'm jealous of your dehumidity lol)

Johnny: what is taking the doorsill away?

Mark: thank you for the link, I will read it!
edit: reading now, Wow, that article is very informative!

digital: See my response to Lance

Doug: thank you for all the info! Have you ever installed an HRV yourself, and if so, how big of a project are we looking at? I suppose I could get someone in to do it but living in Sechelt it's always difficult to get ppl to come up to do stuff, and Drew is quite handy.

Last edited by Keri; 02-17-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:27 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

You mean the windows are not supposed to be wet inside all the time
JK I am having sweaty window issues also, I am almost certain it has nothing to do with the 350 gallons of salt water and the 4 gallons a day evaporation, I am blaming it on the toilets as the tanks sweat when you flush I am thinking HRV is the way to go, especially as the furnace is located in the same room as the tank.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:27 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Not sure how humidity is not a concern on the prairie? Thats where its the most concern, as we have cold winters. Unless ones house leaks like a sieve. Yes, its dry air outside but its needs to be brought in to the house and exchanged with the humid house air that needs venting.
My case is new house and have the furnace humidifier turned off, house stays around 30%.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:38 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
... I am blaming it on the toilets as the tanks sweat when you flush ....

I'm blaming it on the dog

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252

Tags
condensation, humidity, mold