Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-22-2014, 05:51 AM

Restless10101 is on a distinguished road
Default Lost one of my clowns.

Hey all. Sadly I lost one of my clownfish today. I introduced a new pair of Firefish to my aquarium, and my clowns were quite aggressive towards them. I'm guessing at some point during the day, that my male clown was chasing one of the new fish, and jumped out of the tank.

My question to everyone is when should I try to introduce a new mate for my clownfish. I just don't want to stress the fish out any more than I have to.

Thanks

Steve
Old 09-24-2014, 10:54 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless10101 View Post
Hey all. Sadly I lost one of my clownfish today. I introduced a new pair of Firefish to my aquarium, and my clowns were quite aggressive towards them. I'm guessing at some point during the day, that my male clown was chasing one of the new fish, and jumped out of the tank.

My question to everyone is when should I try to introduce a new mate for my clownfish. I just don't want to stress the fish out any more than I have to.

Thanks

Steve
I just lost my female clown about 3 weeks ago, and was advised to wait a week before putting a new clown mate in which I did. Also make sure the new addition is smaller than the one you have now. So I put the new smaller clown in and it's been totally successful. Apparently the larger one will dominate and become the female in time. Good Luck.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:07 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Make a screen for your tank so it doesn't happen again. Firefish are known for jumping and Clownfish are pretty bad too.

When you get a new Clownfish pick one that is either significantly bigger or significantly smaller than the one you have now. Two of the same size will fight for dominance.

SPS fanatic.