Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-09-2016, 03:37 AM

Jordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Unlike the natural nitrifying bacteria (which converts nitrate to N2 gas which escapes from the gas in form of bubbles), probiotic bacteria strains consumes the nitrate (and phosphate too I guess). These bacteria strains needs to be skimmed out (only a small percent is consumed by corals) by a skimmer in order to remove the nutrients from the tank. As a result, all probiotic methods need highly efficient skimmers.
I was kind of thinking that, but thanks for clarifying. Maybe something to try down the road when I have outgrown my current nano.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:23 AM

spedly is on a distinguished road

I didn't know that there was going to be a little vial of stuff to dose with this salt. I didn't take the pails straight into the house and instead left them in the garage for a couple of days. If it froze it thawed out very quickly but I don't know if I had an impact on the contents. Having said that I don't understand the benefit of dosing nitrifying bacteria if my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate parameters are all 0. That would indicate to me that I already have enough.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:45 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
I didn't know that there was going to be a little vial of stuff to dose with this salt. I didn't take the pails straight into the house and instead left them in the garage for a couple of days. If it froze it thawed out very quickly but I don't know if I had an impact on the contents. Having said that I don't understand the benefit of dosing nitrifying bacteria if my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate parameters are all 0. That would indicate to me that I already have enough.
You don't need to dose those freebies. Its just a way of poking the consumer, asking them to use it. Just a marketing scheme

If you levels are all in check and you and the tank inhabitants are happy, using probiotics will just be another unnecessary headache for you to have. Probiotics works, natural filtration works and there are many other methods that works; you just have to choose whichever works best for you and your tank

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 01-09-2016, 12:48 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

That particular freebie, BioS, is not probiotic bacteria, it is nitrifying bacteria and would be good to use for someone that's just starting their tank. The NP Pro that comes with the probiotic salt is not nitrifying bacteria, it is probiotic bacteria (the same that feeds off biopellets) which lower nitrate and phosphate.

Instant Ocean often has a tshirt in the bucket. That doesn't mean you have to wear it.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:21 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That particular freebie, BioS, is not probiotic bacteria, it is nitrifying bacteria and would be good to use for someone that's just starting their tank. The NP Pro that comes with the probiotic salt is not nitrifying bacteria, it is probiotic bacteria (the same that feeds off biopellets) which lower nitrate and phosphate.
Even though I run a natural system, I was going to try the sample, but now I'm not so sure. Perhaps it's not something I want to get my tank addicted to. Reverting to natural strains of bacteria might cause a problem when the sample runs out.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:28 PM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post

Instant Ocean often has a tshirt in the bucket. That doesn't mean you have to wear it.

Myka it's Pro Bio S in the bucket not Bio S so it's probiotic bacteria. Also NP pro is not a bacteria it's a carbon source so you would need to use Pro Bio S in conjuction with it. NP Pro is a different carbon source then their original product Pro F and apparently stronger. I ordered Pro F to use with Pro Bio S but may eventually switch to NP pro.

Last edited by dcw1sfu; 01-09-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:29 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw1sfu View Post
Myka it's Pro Bio S in the bucket not Bio S so it's probiotic bacteria. Also NP pro is not a bacteria it's a carbon source so you would need to use Pro Bio S in conjuction with it. NP Pro is a different carbon source then their original product Pro F and apparently stronger. I ordered Pro F to use with Pro Bio S but may eventually switch to NP pro.
Oops. I got them mixed up. Thanks for clarifying.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:27 AM

gmann is on a distinguished road

i just opened my box, no freebie for me....

must be just in the buckets
Old 01-20-2016, 04:04 AM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road

I've been seeding my siporax with the Pro Bio S and have done a few water changes with the Aquaforest reef salt and the corals seem to be responding well.

I've also just received these Aquaforest products which I began dosing and putting online yesterday:

Coral A
Coral B
Coral E
Coral V
Coral food
Reef mineral salt

I'm still waiting for the NP PRO and component strong which are due to arrive by the end of the week.

Last edited by dcw1sfu; 01-20-2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:24 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann View Post
i just opened my box, no freebie for me....

must be just in the buckets
They probably include those freebies only with the buckets as an apology for the struggle that you have to go through every time you try to open the lid. First world reefing problem but I simply can't get over this!

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob