Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 09-01-2007, 05:28 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

[quote=bulletsworld;269300] HOLY CRAP! I had no idea it was THAT bad (being stung)! YIKS!!!! You could actually feel the poison movin in your body? [/QUOTE

I got bit by a Hermit Crab Before... That was pretty bad. Mind you it latched onto my hand for over an hour and a half.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:29 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

[quote=i2as kass;269308]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld View Post
HOLY CRAP! I had no idea it was THAT bad (being stung)! YIKS!!!! You could actually feel the poison movin in your body? [/QUOTE

I got bit by a Hermit Crab Before... That was pretty bad. Mind you it latched onto my hand for over an hour and a half.
Why on earth did you let it?

Old 09-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road
Default age

I was 14 and my family went to the petstore. We bought 3 Hermit crabs(Larger land species) and the guy asked me if I wanted to hold one, so my mom said ok. It was in the palm of my hand and all of a sudden BANG it latched on... We didnt buy the Hermit crabs after that.
Levi
Old 09-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I went to the hospital but after waiting for an hour & since there were still 6 people ahead of me (none of them poisoned or worse, I might add) I left & called Poison Control. They told me that poisons are enzymes, enzymes are proteins & proteins denature (break apart) in the presence of heat. By that time, I could stand a lot of heat so that's why I poured near boiling hot water on my arm to break up the toxin before it reached my vital organs. I'd rather suffer from burns & blisters than more serious damage to the organs.

It wasn't the Volitan's fault. I had trained him to eat from my hands/chopsticks, so it was only doing what came "naturally" when it saw my hands in the tank.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:23 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

smooth anthony. lol.

fyi, there has never been any fatalities directly related to lionfish (stonefish are a different story). dunno if allergies count but that would ceertainly complicate the situation. as mentioned just pour hot water over the stung area asap, but please not boiling. just as hot as you can stand without scalding yourself. calling a doc just to let him know what happened wouldnt be a bad idea. driving yourself anywhere would be a very bad idea.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:23 AM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road
Default What kind of tankmates have you tried with a lionfish??

Thanks Anthony for your experiences. Always good to know worst case. Geesh I would have to have a sign on the tank, "DO NOT PUT FINGERS IN THE TANK!"

Im still debating this Lion fish just for that reason. I'm also wondering if it will really would get along with my 4.5" porcupine puffer and a 3" Star & Stripe puffer, and a med Foxface. I also have 2 bugger damsels in there, but their mean and no loss if eaten. However I would have to remove my 1" picasso trigger to my other tank, just in case.

Any thoughts? What kind of tankmates have you tried with a lionfish??

Thanks for all your feed back so far!

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Last edited by bulletsworld; 09-02-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:16 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld View Post
Thanks Anthony for your experiences. Always good to know worst case. Geesh I would have to have a sign on the tank, "DO NOT PUT FINGERS IN THE TANK!"

Im still debating this Lion fish just for that reason. I'm also wondering if it will really would get along with my 4.5" porcupine puffer and a 3" Star & Stripe puffer, and a med Foxface. I also have 2 bugger damsels in there, but their mean and no loss if eaten. However I would have to remove my 1" picasso trigger to my other tank, just in case.

Any thoughts? What kind of tankmates have you tried with a lionfish??

Thanks for all your feed back so far!

I've only seen them bother small (tiny) puffers, the foxface would be fine
and as long as the trigger doesn't fit in his mouth...but when it does....
I had a larger marine beta that was okay...even my little wrasse lived with it for six months...then he was snagged up pretty quick

Old 09-02-2007, 04:41 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

My most awesome FOWLR was a clown trigger, a volitan lion, a green wolf eel(blenny) and a huge wild caught saddleback. I actually traded them all in at once to get into reef. I loved those guys. They put them all in the same tank at the LFS as well, and I was so proud...they were all sold in an instant.

I didn't have a camera in those days, I sure wish I did...
Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

if none of your fish can fit in the lion's mouth then everything shoud be just fine. only thing i would worry about is the puffers nipping on the loins fins... rare case but it happens.

the frequency of stings is actually really low... just keep your head on your shoulders, eye on the fish, you really should be just fine. in fact there are actually quite a few people out there who have lions and dont even know the fish CAN sting... which is stupid on their part, but you get my point.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:49 PM

Myanth is on a distinguished road

I had my lion for a year and a half, until last week . Very cool fish, follows you around, corrals other fish with it's fins. I never got stung but I knew how bad it could be. I lost a picasso and a clown trigger to him after they had been together for a long time. One day he just decided that they looked like food. I never thought they could fit in his mouth. (definately go at least tow thirds the lions size as they were both approx half of his)He lived quite happily with a snowflake and a green wolf eel. The moray would every once in a while try for the lion's belly. I had never seen him intimidated by anything until the intro of the snowflake, but they were fine for over a year. He just stopped eating and I couldn't get him to take anything. He was cool. His name was Jason.