Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
Man, that's a brutal few days. I know how that feels from a couple weeks ago. Hope everything will turn out positively for you soon, buddy!
Thanks Brian, I was a bit of a Debbie Downer there for a few days but I'm trying to stay positive!
Old 06-01-2015, 05:10 PM

Wretch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Fwiw, Tigger pods won't colonize in the tank. What is in the Doc's? I can see in the pic it mentions rotifers which won't colonize either, and copepods...what kind of copepods? For pods that will colonize the tank, you're better off using a ball of chaeto from someone else's (clean) system. Adding some clean, cured live rock to the sump might help you out too.
Eco matter contains: “L” Shaped Rotifers, Moina Salina, Nanno Phytoplankton, Copepods: Tigriopus, Tisbe, Parvocalanus, Pseudodiaptomus, Acartia
Old 06-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Darth Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretch View Post
Eco matter contains: “L” Shaped Rotifers, Moina Salina, Nanno Phytoplankton, Copepods: Tigriopus, Tisbe, Parvocalanus, Pseudodiaptomus, Acartia
Sounds delicious, thanks Joe!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Darth Moderator

Well, its official, the wife just called and reported the Damsel and her favorite Clown are dead. Second Clown probably isn't too far behind. Corals and inverts appear to be unaffected. Time to reevaluate and leave the tank fallow for 3 months I guess.

Seriously ****ed, because I know it could have been avoided.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:40 PM

wilswils57 is on a distinguished road

damn dude i was following this thread too! that sucks. i got wrecked by velvet/ich too! lost 9 fish
Old 06-02-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Well, its official, the wife just called and reported the Damsel and her favorite Clown are dead. Second Clown probably isn't too far behind. Corals and inverts appear to be unaffected. Time to reevaluate and leave the tank fallow for 3 months I guess.

Seriously ****ed, because I know it could have been avoided.
Damn man that really sucks? Do you know exactly what it is? Seems to be pretty harsh just to be ick. I know it sucks not having any fish in the tank for a while but it lets you work on other things.

Aquascape and frag placement. Lets you acquire more frags. Lets your pod population increase. Allows you to plan for the fish you want and the order you want to get them(or all at once). Gotta keep it positive. Really 3 months in the life of a tank isn't all that long.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:46 PM
Darth Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilswils57 View Post
damn dude i was following this thread too! that sucks. i got wrecked by velvet/ich too! lost 9 fish
I've lost countless numbers of fish during my freshwater days, but as this is my first salt tank, it really stings. Probably the worst part is that the clowns were my wifes favourite part of the tank. She really started to come around once they went in. The poor girl had to flush her favourite fish today. I'll need to buy her something shiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretch View Post
Damn man that really sucks? Do you know exactly what it is? Seems to be pretty harsh just to be ick. I know it sucks not having any fish in the tank for a while but it lets you work on other things.

Aquascape and frag placement. Lets you acquire more frags. Lets your pod population increase. Allows you to plan for the fish you want and the order you want to get them(or all at once). Gotta keep it positive. Really 3 months in the life of a tank isn't all that long.
Unfortunately I wont know what it is unless I can do a biopsy under a microscope, which I don't have. Lots of telltale white spots, but also a white sheen that appears under blues.

If and when the last fish dies, I'll be putting him on ice until I can get my hands on a microscope.

Completely ruled out Velvet based on the fact that the tank from which the Flame came, has mild Ich, but all fish are fine.

Can Ich wipe out an entire tank once introduced in 7 days? Symptoms began after the Flame was introduced, so I assume he was patient zero.

Also considering poisoning, and use of tap water for rinsing certain tools etc. Pretty hard to believe any poisoning would show the same symptoms as Ich. Confirmed with the wife and mother in law that no cleaning/spraying was done near the tank.

Still haven't mounted any frags, and I wanted to thin out the sandbed. So yeah, lots of stuff to do in the meantime. Maybe even set up a QT because, you know, I'm an idiot.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
I've lost countless numbers of fish during my freshwater days, but as this is my first salt tank, it really stings. Probably the worst part is that the clowns were my wifes favourite part of the tank. She really started to come around once they went in. The poor girl had to flush her favourite fish today. I'll need to buy her something shiny.

Unfortunately I wont know what it is unless I can do a biopsy under a microscope, which I don't have. Lots of telltale white spots, but also a white sheen that appears under blues.

If and when the last fish dies, I'll be putting him on ice until I can get my hands on a microscope.

Completely ruled out Velvet based on the fact that the tank from which the Flame came, has mild Ich, but all fish are fine.

Can Ich wipe out an entire tank once introduced in 7 days? Symptoms began after the Flame was introduced, so I assume he was patient zero.

Also considering poisoning, and use of tap water for rinsing certain tools etc. Pretty hard to believe any poisoning would show the same symptoms as Ich. Confirmed with the wife and mother in law that no cleaning/spraying was done near the tank.

Still haven't mounted any frags, and I wanted to thin out the sandbed. So yeah, lots of stuff to do in the meantime. Maybe even set up a QT because, you know, I'm an idiot.
Well fish die in quarantine as much as in a display tank but everyone has there opinion on that. Maybe yours has changed now after this icky episode.

Make your tank nice and pretty in the next 3 months. Get good growth on your sps then when you add fish they will make the tank even better looking.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:19 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about your losses Warren
It definitely hurts losing fish
Old 06-03-2015, 12:43 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

FWIW, I set up a QT after losing a bunch of fish. I lost more fish in QT than not, so now my tank is full of non quarantined fish, all happy and healthy.
I don't even have an opinion on it anymore, I think it's a good idea, but not for me.