Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 11-26-2013, 09:38 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road
Default ATI LED/T5 Combo?

Anyone have one yet? Thoughts? Was thinking about getting one for my new tank (60"x36" footprint)...
Old 11-26-2013, 09:49 PM

gqlmao is on a distinguished road

I am contemplating on switching my radion out for one of these. Concept has 2 over one of their tanks and when I compare them to the GHL's in my opinion they look better. They put out such a nice and bright intensity and the spectrum feels more complete rather than just with the 4-5 generic leds colors. In my opinion, it looks the closest to MH, the shimmer isn't overly crazy like the Kessils, but it is there.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

denny_C is on a distinguished road

yup got two on daves office tank and if i compare to the ghl's IMO a far better light , we are seeing very good results.

im sure everyones opinion will vary though like always ;PP

ask me again t in six mths as they are only running a few weeks but a top contender IMO , very promising
Old 11-26-2013, 10:04 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Could you not just add a few T5 retro fits to your existing LED (AI, Mitras, Radeon) fixture? Seems that would be more economical to me. I have seen the ATI hybrid over Dave's tank and it does look nice though. But easily reproducible if you currently have LEDs or T5s.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 PM

waynemah is on a distinguished road

Denny, would you say having the LED is worth the price hike from the sunpower?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemah View Post
Denny, would you say having the LED is worth the price hike from the sunpower?

i would , now not everyone is going to see that as i guess it comes down to budget and what one wants overall.

its too early yet to tell its longterm effects on the corals but theres def quite the price jump from the sunpower , with that said both lights are quality products.

color blending will be better for the powermodule and if the tank is high enough the leds will help there as well.

we had all daves t5's off and just the leds and it lit the whole tank up pretty bright ,colors are very nice and bright, its a 8ft tank running 2 x 36" dimmable t5/led fixtures ,i was told that the t5's would wash out the leds by other suppliers and so far its not the case at all

maintenance and running cost will be roughly the same give or take

i know the guys at MJC have had theirs running for quite some time and they have good reviews as well .

time will tell.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Could you not just add a few T5 retro fits to your existing LED (AI, Mitras, Radeon) fixture? Seems that would be more economical to me. I have seen the ATI hybrid over Dave's tank and it does look nice though. But easily reproducible if you currently have LEDs or T5s.
well for a guy running ghl's who wants to add t5's will probably have to have some skill in finishing or a canopy to hide the bulbs in ,but esentially its just adding t5's to the mix so i cant see why it wouldnt be done
Old 11-26-2013, 10:43 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

The ATI with 8 T5s on top of the LEDs is certainly a much brighter light than comparable LED fixtures without the additional T5s but when you guys compare the two tanks at concept keep in mind the 8' tank in Dave's office has 2 4' 8 bult ATI fixtures while the 10' tank with GHLs only have 3 units hung quite high, plus it's like a foot wider. It's virtually impossible to get a good comparison there, you're comparing over 1100 watts to less than 500 on a much larger tank.

That 10' tank needs at least 2 more units (more to be comparable to Dave' tank) with all units moved lower and mounted the other way. I think I've mentioned this a few times

That said the ATI is nice but I still think the functionality that comes will LEDs is lost with the addition of T5s.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:49 PM

mikepclo is on a distinguished road

Ati led will give more pop to your lps compared to t5 alone. Give you more color control and customization. Worth it? Yes if you don't have a canopy to hide messy led/t5 combos and need a clean all in one fixture.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Last edited by mikepclo; 11-26-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

I'm going to buy either GHL or ATI this week, just no idea which one! Good problem to have obviously.

The biggest downside to the ATI, in my opinion, is the sheer size of the fixture. Not sure I want to go back to the days when I had a 6-bulb Tek light covering my tank. Plus, I'm not sure how the 24" ATI Hybrid would look over my 24" cube.