Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 08-01-2014, 04:07 PM

johnnyriker22 is on a distinguished road

Worms can re-infect very easily especially if there eating their own waste. Try to treat every day for 4-5 consecutive days if possible. Feeding twice a day will make this difficult. Unless your feeding frys Feeding twice a day will make this less effective unless your treating both feedings.

Johnny
Old 08-01-2014, 04:18 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Instructions for Prazipro state every 5-7 days, but not more than every 3-5 days, therefore not a daily treatment - the way I'm reading this anyway. I don't mix with their food, I pour straight into the tank. I've got zero filtration going on right now - makes the skimmer go nuts anyway. I follow this dosing for the next while, but then I wonder if the worms become immune to the treatment.

Its only the tangs that will eat the worms, the other fish may bite, but then spit them out.

On another note and not sure if this is related, but I was watching my blue tang last night and she seemed to be having seizures. She'd shake for 10-15 seconds, then swim like nothing happened, then do it again. It was the oddest thing I've seen...any thoughts?
Old 08-01-2014, 05:48 PM

johnnyriker22 is on a distinguished road

The instructions are not the clearest I've seen.

This is what I can make of it. Please make sure of the following:

-There should be no skimmer, filters, or UV sterilizers usage as well as no carbon usage during the treatment (5 days) as it will pull the medication out of the water. I would also take any other media out of the tank (such as purigen) and turn pumps off if present to reactors.
-This is a slower kind of treatment where you leave it in the tank for the week basically
-Change water BEFORE treatment, not after. They have neglected to clarify when the new water should go in. It should go in BEFORE you add the medication as to make sure the dosage is not messed with in your tank.
-This treatment seems to be sensitive to chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia. Make sure to use a water conditioner in your tank to pull these things out. They probably affect the medication.

Wish you and your friend all the best.

Johnny
Old 08-22-2014, 05:02 PM

My blue throat trigger died yesterday. I thought he had made a turn for the better, out swimming, eating, but 2 days ago, he stopped coming out to eat. My daughter found him floating around the tank yesterday morning.

All other fish are doing well, but I still can't get rid of the worms. I've treated 4 times now with Prazipro, yellow tang still seems full of them. Not sure what to do.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:47 PM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

Not sure how good your relationship with your vet is, but if you can get some piperezine, combined with Maracyn 2, or Levamisole if you can get it.

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
Not sure how good your relationship with your vet is, but if you can get some piperezine, combined with Maracyn 2, or Levamisole if you can get it.

Charles
Could you give some info on this? Is it a stronger med to get rid of the worms?
Old 08-22-2014, 06:11 PM

Both are much stronger, yes, and has some larval effectiveness as well.

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:21 PM

I've called both vets I use and neither carry those recommendations. I've also called the Calgary Avion and Exotic Pets and would have to bring a fish and stool sample in.

I'm still calling around, hopefully come up with something, at a reasonable cost. Vet visit would not be cheap.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:33 PM

Your vet will not give you a Rx for one or both?

Charles

Old 08-22-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
Your vet will not give you a Rx for one or both?

Charles
No the one didn't even know what they were, I didn't ask the other and the Exotic Animal wouldn't write an RX without seeing what they were prescribing for.

I've called Pisces and they recommended something else, starts with meta something. I'll head there this afternoon.