Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > JL Aquatics

Old 03-16-2013, 10:03 PM

postie36 is on a distinguished road
Default Shipping Charges

Just be aware that although my service was top notch when ordering and recieving my product, It's pretty much a fact they overcharge on shipping charges.
I was charged for light bulbs at which they say will split the cost at 50%. As a postmaster when I checked into what the actual cost was, it was twice the amount and i ended up paying not 50% but 100%. Only for them to say it's there computer calculations.

Poor excuse IMO.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:31 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

You didn't mention what you paid, but to be fair, they need to cover some of their packing materials and labor costs, not just the shipping charges
Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 AM

apexifd is on a distinguished road

Did you remember to put in the dimension of the package?

light bulb weights like nothing, but the dim weight is quite high.

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 03-17-2013, 01:12 AM

Well for sure I get the packing materials and the personnel that have to pack and process. Given
So here is my scenario, paid $18.00. which was half price. Included $200. in insurance. Expedited, which is regular 5-10 days
As a postal guy, I thought that was kinda high being regional area, BC AB. Usually means cheaper than NS. So thought I'd check it out.
With measurments, which made the package 4.2 Kg, for light bulbs on my retail counter with Ins was $18.00. Which if I sent this package to them reverse.
Now we know all big companies who use Canadapost they give discounts, even with my retail counter at $18, thats telling me they charged me $18. for packaging and a guy to process. So I paid $18 for a box and bubble wrap.
So, i guess really buy local if you can as at the end of the day even with there markup it's probably cheaper than online sales.
At the end of the day, really check into shipping charges, we all know if it says free shipping and you see $18. charge added and then they say well thats for a guy and a box to process it really isn't free shipping is it.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:51 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

How much did you spend on the bulbs ?
I'm curious to try their shopping cart to see what you saw ...
Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 AM

I dont have the invoice in front of me but it was approx $147. for the six bulbs give or take a buck or two. I thought buy 6 for the half price shipping. Didnt need 6 but made sence. Prices are really good.
Online pricing costs should really include all the add ons, packing material , pers to do the packing and processing now that i think of it.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:50 AM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

J&L's business practices are above board. Jeff and co are the vendor of choice for the majority of marine hobbyists in Canada. Quite often I will compare other supplier's prices against J&L just to see if they are competitive because J&L is almost always the cheapest. Your "buyer beware" thread is probably not going to accomplish anything since most of us have ordered from J&L and have had nothing but a positive experience.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:42 AM

wmcinnes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperfish View Post
J&L's business practices are above board. Jeff and co are the vendor of choice for the majority of marine hobbyists in Canada. Quite often I will compare other supplier's prices against J&L just to see if they are competitive because J&L is almost always the cheapest. Your "buyer beware" thread is probably not going to accomplish anything since most of us have ordered from J&L and have had nothing but a positive experience.
+1

Rainforest of the Sea
First 90g Reef
Old 03-17-2013, 02:01 PM

dreef is on a distinguished road

I don't know how many times i've ordered from J&L nothing but great service and prices everytime.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:47 PM

noy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreef View Post
I don't know how many times i've ordered from J&L nothing but great service and prices everytime.
agreed!