Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 10-29-2013, 01:09 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post

Since I am the only non-LED user over here, I would like to be pointed out where I mislead. Cost-benefit? Electricity savings? Well, that's the two part I talked about. There's obviously a cut-off region for those two to get inverted from their typical outcome (the numbers of years for cost-benefit would significantly decrease and electricity savings will be huge) but those are for HUGE tank sizes. Like a 8' or a 10' tank.
This is a pretty fast moving thread.... But please don't get mad at me...LOL. I did not say or suggest that you or any non-LED users were misleading. Instead I said you were being misled,... big difference.

And in your case specifically, you are probably a good example of this. You have no direct experience with LED, yet you seem to be taking the side against LEDs and choose who you want to quote or back up your argument. If you want to talk about cost savings, why don't you go back and read my earlier post in this thread where I gave some real data on my usage and savings.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:18 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
This is a pretty fast moving thread.... But please don't get mad at me...LOL. I did not say or suggest that you or any non-LED users were misleading. Instead I said you were being misled,... big difference.

And in your case specifically, you are probably a good example of this. You have no direct experience with LED, yet you seem to be taking the side against LEDs and choose who you want to quote or back up your argument. If you want to talk about cost savings, why don't you go back and read my earlier post in this thread where I gave some real data on my usage and savings.
There's nothing to be mad over here. There's are all healthy arguments and thats why the forum is for.

I am not taking side again't LED, I am being against the cost savings

Aha, found the numbers. Sorry I didn't notice that post Can you please let me know how many T5s were you running (including the watt and the hours of running) and how many radions (which model? that will factor in the cost) you are running over the two tanks? I will do a calculation and see how things look. Your numbers are something that I needed. Thanks for posting those btw

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 10-29-2013, 01:21 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I wish I could compare the cost of MH vs LED. The week I switched over from MHs to LED there was a smart meter installed on my house. My hydro bill stayed the same at $500 for 2 months. Im getting hammered on with out getting dinner first But smart meters are a different topic all together.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I wish I could compare the cost of MH vs LED. The week I switched over from MHs to LED there was a smart meter installed on my house. My hydro bill stayed the same at $500 for 2 months. Im getting hammered on with out getting dinner first But smart meters are a different topic all together.
Yah lets not bring any more variables

Old 10-29-2013, 01:26 AM

AdamsB is on a distinguished road

When setting up my 90 gallon I had 3 main research points. What skimmer, do I run a fuge, what kind of lighting. I guess I went budget on all those questions. I didn't know if I'd ever get into sps, but wanted a light capable of providing that. Now that I'm mostly LPS and SPS and graduated away from colt corals and mushrooms I'm glad I did.

I had 3 main reasons for going LED with the evergrow it2080. One, I didn't want to deal with changing bulbs. Two, I knew if I just wanted low light coral I could turn my light down. If I wanted sps I could cater to that too. Three, I wanted to cover my 90 gallon with one unit. I felt the AI would have an issue with the centre brace. While my unit does shadow slightly, it's very minimal.

These are my reasons and they may be wrong due to lack of hands on experience with other lighting methods. I just couldn't justify spending well over 1000 dollars on a light at the time when there was a perfectly suitable unit for half that price.

As for results, I'm very happy. Everything is growing, sps, lps and zoas. I will admit that I bought coral online and I don't have quite the coloration that the pictures depicted, but that could be more a me problem than the led unit. I am however going to keep an eye on things/tweak my channels to see If I can get better coloration and possibly add a t5 light to the equation if I don't get the results I want. I should also mention that I don't add any kinds of supplements, just water changes.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:27 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Ya, I got mine exactly at switch over time on LEDs, and bill never changed. Not even flowers....
Old 10-29-2013, 01:38 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
There's nothing to be mad over here. There's are all healthy arguments and thats why the forum is for.

I am not taking side again't LED, I am being against the cost savings

Aha, found the numbers. Sorry I didn't notice that post Can you please let me know how many T5s were you running (including the watt and the hours of running) and how many radions (which model? that will factor in the cost) you are running over the two tanks? I will do a calculation and see how things look. Your numbers are something that I needed. Thanks for posting those btw
Well, that's good (liking healthy arguments). Candor without malice, is what we used to say in the corporate world where I worked.

We used to live and die by all the numbers, and stretched and shrunk them every quarter (with the help of our creative accountants) to make our owners and shareholders happy. But I'm retired now, and have to say I hate numbers now, and do my best not to overly manage my personal finance, including how much I spend on reefing, etc. I just know it is a lot, and anything I can do to cut it back a bit (without compromising the quality and pleasure of my hobby experience) is good. So, no, I am not going to get out the meters and check my exact power usage, or calculate all my equipment cost and depreciation, etc. That would take much of the fun out of this hobby...

All I can tell you, is that my canopy (6 foot tank) was totally jammed with T5s before. They were very hot, and I know used a lot of power, incl the chiller and all the bulb costs. My LEDs on the other hand are very cool (in comparison to the T5s), and are basically maintenance free. Any adjustments are made with my computer.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Ya, I got mine exactly at switch over time on LEDs, and bill never changed. Not even flowers....
Don't feel too bad we don't have smart meters but still get dinged the same way. My dad (retired, so has some spare time) kept his power bills for two years and compared the actual cost of electricity vs all the extra fees on the bill. Any time actual usage costs were down the others fees went up, when usage cost went up the fees went down. Over all the bills didn't change much regardless of electricity used. I have switched my house lights to CF bulbs, went from MH to LED's, don't leave lights on that I don't need, etc. and have yet to see any of this make any real difference to the bottom line of what I pay for electricity.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Well, that's good (liking healthy arguments). Candor without malice, is what we used to say in the corporate world where I worked.

We used to live and die by all the numbers, and stretched and shrunk them every quarter (with the help of our creative accountants) to make our owners and shareholders happy. But I'm retired now, and have to say I hate numbers now, and do my best not to overly manage my personal finance, including how much I spend on reefing, etc. I just know it is a lot, and anything I can do to cut it back a bit (without compromising the quality and pleasure of my hobby experience) is good. So, no, I am not going to get out the meters and check my exact power usage, or calculate all my equipment cost and depreciation, etc. That would take much of the fun out of this hobby...

All I can tell you, is that my canopy (6 foot tank) was totally jammed with T5s before. They were very hot, and I know used a lot of power, incl the chiller and all the bulb costs. My LEDs on the other hand are very cool (in comparison to the T5s), and are basically maintenance free. Any adjustments are made with my computer.
No no no you don't to take out the meters. Just the numbers of T5s, the watt of heaters T5s and the radion gen and how many. I sent you a PM for convenience. Just the name plate numbers

Old 10-29-2013, 01:48 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Any adjustments are made with my computer.
Oh, I miss this too Although once adjusted, they were set and forget. Although I can set the timers via computer still. I can turn my T5 off. Then on. Then off again. I can actually do this with my phone. But I haven't been that bored yet -lol

Tags
aqua digital, pukani