Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > JL Aquatics

Old 05-16-2013, 04:03 AM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

New it would be a hard sell. They seem to be well respected.
I got 4 days of zero percent. Then gave up.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:31 PM

jlaquatics is on a distinguished road

ReeferFulton,

Sorry for the less than satisfactory experience you had with us. If you ever need assistance with anything, please feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to work with you.

We make every effort to get back to our customers within 12-24 hours (at the longest). If anyone has issues (of any kind) that are not being rectified by the sales/support team, I invite you to contact me directly and I will be happy to help get things fixed up.

Thanks to all for the continued support!

Jeff
J&L Aquatics Ltd.
604-444-1161
888-840-1146
jeff@jlaquatics.com
Old 06-14-2013, 07:28 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperfish View Post
J&L's business practices are above board. Jeff and co are the vendor of choice for the majority of marine hobbyists in Canada. Quite often I will compare other supplier's prices against J&L just to see if they are competitive because J&L is almost always the cheapest. Your "buyer beware" thread is probably not going to accomplish anything since most of us have ordered from J&L and have had nothing but a positive experience.
+100%

I even bought my Hamilton Belize light fixture, shipped to Calgary was cheaper than anywhere even local... Even cheaper than buying from the USA!

Carriers to have additional fees for overweight and oversized items, bulbs do fall into this area.

Been dealing with them for years, JL gets my recommendation.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk

Last edited by globaldesigns; 06-14-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperfish View Post
J&L's business practices are above board. Jeff and co are the vendor of choice for the majority of marine hobbyists in Canada. Quite often I will compare other supplier's prices against J&L just to see if they are competitive because J&L is almost always the cheapest. Your "buyer beware" thread is probably not going to accomplish anything since most of us have ordered from J&L and have had nothing but a positive experience.
This is an opinion related to ones unique experiences and not fact.
It's great that everyone has had good experiences with JL, but that is not really relevant to what this poster is saying.
They obviously have the inside track to what should constitute fair shipping charges and have calculated that JL is likely making money/margin on shipping in addition to the items themselves.

If true, very uncool and well worth knowing about.

I've been going to JL for around 10 years and have had both bad and good experiences.

I actually went into oceanic corals last week (hadnt been before) was was blown away by how much knowledge and time he had for me.
It had been a while since I had that kind of experience in an aquatics store.

Last edited by gobytron; 06-14-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
I actually went into oceanic corals last week (hadnt been before) was was blown away by how much knowledge and time he had for me.
It had been a while since I had that kind of experience in an aquatics store.
To be fair, that's comparing apples to rabbits. J&L is a large store catering to a national market, Paul is a boutique shop with an exclusive clientele.

Personally, I've been dealing with J&L since they opened, and never have I had less than 100%. Although I did get that from Paul as well
Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
To be fair, that's comparing apples to rabbits. J&L is a large store catering to a national market, Paul is a boutique shop with an exclusive clientele.

Personally, I've been dealing with J&L since they opened, and never have I had less than 100%. Although I did get that from Paul as well
LOL...
with one being a canreef sponsor and the other not so much.

so are you saying that JL's service is great relative to them catering to a national market and that better service should be assumed at a boutique shop?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
LOL...
with one being a canreef sponsor and the other not so much.

so are you saying that JL's service is great relative to them catering to a national market and that better service should be assumed at a boutique shop?
Sponsorship is irrelevant. I like both stores, for different reasons. If J&L sucked, I'd say so regardless of their status on the board.

and yes, the level of service is relative to the scope of the business. J&L, as probably the largest national retailer, provides service at a level I would expect of a store that busy. If the staff have 5 customers each, and can manage to satisfy them all, then that's excellent. Paul, when I was there, had two customers..myself and my wife. So the level of service was more attentive. Although, having been to J&L at a slower time, I received similar service.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Banned

come on...
I'm surely not saying one store is better than the other.
In fact, when all factors including selection, hours and location are considered, I'd agree JL is hands down the best game in town...

But i do not believe JL being a sponsor is irrelevant.

Why would this site give them mod privileges (had to google spelling for that word) to control what's said about them here if canreef (and by extension, it's mods) thought this was irrelevant?

I mean come on.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
But i do not believe JL being a sponsor is irrelevant.

Why would this site give them mod privileges (had to google spelling for that word) to control what's said about them here if canreef (and by extension, it's mods) thought this was irrelevant?
It's irrelevant as far as my opinion is concerned. As part of sponsorship, each vendor gets a self managed forum. Board owner made that decision. You need to understand, that for every dollar a sponsor pays the board, I get exactly 0%. So that's how much bias I put towards my opinion of any vendor.
As far as mod privileges go, they can only soft delete. Anything soft deleted that I feel is relevant to the topic, and simply removed for the sake of preserving a self defined reputation is put back into the post. The intention of this ability is not to hide facts. In fact, we've revoked a sponsor's rights for doing just that.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:08 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Sponsorship is irrelevant. I like both stores, for different reasons. If J&L sucked, I'd say so regardless of their status on the board.
And here we all thought that saying bad things about sponsors was strictly forbidden.