Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Contest 2012

Old 09-19-2012, 03:17 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

BTW I love you Denny Aren't you glad I joined and am making things a nightmare for you and yes I'm fully aware I'm a brat, but at least I admit it, and in and amongst my long winded above post I do make a good point Also willing to bribe with pretty zoa frags to be allowed to set my own pace as long as things are done before/by the dates posted
Old 09-19-2012, 03:21 AM

Denny you no love me no more why you no respond???? Don't make me post star wars quotes!!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:25 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

haha ok hold on im just reading this now lol
Old 09-19-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
haha ok hold on im just reading this now lol
Sorry Denny I couldn't resist! But honestly I do think it's cooler to see updates as people do them not have to hold back if you're ahead.

thinks in small voice inside my head.....he's going to kill me!

Last edited by fishoholic; 09-19-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:48 AM
R.I.P.

ok here it goes lol

guys the offcial date for the contest start is october 1rst.

now i did say people can go at their own pace as im sure everyone has set ways they set up a tank, its even written like that, but this is a contest and close observation of the contest timeline should be done.

the timeline was changed to add certain things BY a certain date to let people have some freedom in when they can post.

you got to admit it said in bold lettering on some of the dates , that certain things werent to be added to your journal yet.

guys i too can set up a nano tank in one night , and come back in six months for a super awesome picture.....thats not what this is about , this is about if a set of guidelines are placed out do you think you can follow them and come out with the best nano and be the best! lol

ok so with that said all is not lost, im going to review the timeline and how its worded, i want this to be fair to everyone and to be fun.

i origionally changed the wording in the timeline so that people had more freedom and now im thinking that the beginning of the timeline is a bit confusing..... so i have edited it just now so it will not affect anyones journal, basically nothings changed in the ways of rules or dates but will allow the contestants the freedom to start building their systems.

plese read next post
Old 09-19-2012, 03:52 AM
R.I.P.

the timeline has been edited slightly to allow contestants more freedom in their builds, it in no way changes the rules or the outcome. it also will not change the pace anyone wants to go whether you have alot of diy stuff or aio nanos

***please read carefully the timeline for the contest****

contest timeline:
the contest duration is for 6mths, below is a timeline and scheduling log for updates and requirements. this is the guideline the judges will use to judge and award points.ive highlighted and underlined important notes for contestants to follow

sept 1rst - sept 25th /2012-
october 1rst/2012- official start date for contest:
all contestants names will be logged and contestants must start a journal and call their journal their "username" plus "2012 nano contest entry"
example: "reefwars 2012 nano contest entry"
journals have to be created and a first post made by the contestant by october 15th/2012
****in your first post explain your ideas and your goals, no pics are needed**** and smack talk is welcome :P:P
you should add a link to your nano build thread at the bottom of your signature so others can find your build easily

oct15th /2012- empty tank shots:
by this date some pics of your dry empty tanks and what ever equipment you may have is to be provided. feel free to ask questions and get others opinions on your ideas

nov1rst/2012- official fill date:
by this date your tank should be filled with water , all plumbing done and be a running system. a pic of the tank running with water and the plumbing are to be provided . sand may be added before water if that is your desire;P

nov15th/2012-rock and design placment:
by this date your little tank needs to have rock in it and sand (if using sand). a fulltank shot of your layout and structure are to be provided on this date.

dec1rst2012-livestock additions-
if you were smart you started adding rock right after the filldate, so thats a month and now you can add livestock if you feel your tank can do so. a record of what livestock you choose or add needs to be noted on this date.

jan3rd/2013- livestock additions and updates:
an update on the additons you have added, how well things are doing in your little nano. you may provide pics if you like but are not required....but may sway the judges a bit;P

january 15th/2013- first official full tankshots and clos ups:
its the first time you are required to post fulltank shots since youve added your first livestock, things should now be looking good and pics taken along the way.
a recent fulltank shot and some close ups are to be provided by this date

feb15th/2013- fulltank shots and livestock updates:

its been a month so whats new with your little tank, the contest is winding down so lets get some good pics in. video of your tank would help the judges see it from your eyes;P
a recent fulltank shot and some close ups are to be provided by this date

march15th/2013- final fulltank shot and livestock update
this is it folks your last chance to add pics ,videos, despcriptions or thanks, after this date no more post are required and the judges will be making their decisions

march 20th/2013 march 25th/2013- public poll
we will have a public poll on the 20th for users to vote on their favorite nanos. the poll will end on the 25th of march

march 15th to april1rst- judges are to look over the threads are decide a winner.

good luck all!!

Old 09-19-2012, 03:58 AM

Edit: oh wait just saw "the next post" now above, wasn't there before I posted below

Ok now I'm even more confused then I already was I will admit when I read the rules I did read over them quickly and honestly thought they were guidelines needing to be done by such and such date not that I had to wait to do things. Probably wouldn't of entered knowing I had to wait, I get caught up in the excitement of things and want to go full steam ahead.

You know how there's always an exception to the rules???? Can I be that exception PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE
Old 09-19-2012, 04:08 AM
R.I.P.

heres the way it works:

you can go at your own pace, on certain dates or by certain dates things need to be posted.

it will say in the time line in bold if it needs to be posted by a date or on a date.

if it says by a date you have the freedom to post it before the date posted

if it says on the date the pics that are requested are to be provided on that date.

everyone needs to read the timeline cosely, its written in a way where people can have the freedom to go at their own pace, the timeline is so it stays consistent for 6 mths while giving the judges somethng to judge as well.

as its worded now no one is in violation, and really its up to the judges in the end and how they see the timeline/rules.

the way it is worded now is going to be the official timeline, i encourage everyone to read the rules carefully and follow the guidline, this is a contest so lets see who ca pull it off

cheers!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 AM

Ugh so many dates so confusing....I've decided I'm going to say screw it and go at my own pace, I will do updates and will post appropriate pic's on the dates above but I can't say I won't go faster then the dates above and not post pic's of things before hand. Judges can eliminate me from winning if they choose (as I could care less if I win, just don't eliminate me completely) and I'm going to be a brat and do it my way and have fun with it. I'm in it more for the fun of showing others what I can do with a nano tank and for the joy of reading others feed back in my journal of what's happening as it happens. I could care less about loosing points for not following the rules, so long as my journal stays put (as part of the contest) so others can enjoy and comment on it.

I think as long as I'm willing to take the risk for not following the rules then I should be allowed to keep my journal as part of it.

I will post this in my journal and let the judges know to dock points as they deem necessary for whenever I don't or didn't follow the rules. At the end they can tell me I would of had x number of points if I didn't do such and such early but otherwise I hope I can continue even if I loose points for doing it wrong.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:31 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
Ugh so many dates so confusing....I've decided I'm going to say screw it and go at my own pace, I will do updates and will post appropriate pic's on the dates above but I can't say I won't go faster then the dates above and not post pic's of things before hand. Judges can eliminate me from winning if they choose (as I could care less if I win, just don't eliminate me completely) and I'm going to be a brat and do it my way and have fun with it. I'm in it more for the fun of showing others what I can do with a nano tank and for the joy of reading others feed back in my journal of what's happening as it happens. I could care less about loosing points for not following the rules, so long as my journal stays put (as part of the contest) so others can enjoy and comment on it.

I think as long as I'm willing to take the risk for not following the rules then I should be allowed to keep my journal as part of it.

I will post this in my journal and let the judges know to dock points as they deem necessary for whenever I don't or didn't follow the rules. At the end they can tell me I would of had x number of points if I didn't do such and such early but otherwise I hope I can continue even if I loose points for doing it wrong.

your journal is fine lol

guys the timeline really isnt strict it can also be looked at like this:

from now till november 1rst- be able to provide an empty tank shot ,tank with water shot,equipment,rock/sand

dec 1rst-livestock additions and pics

jan3rd -livestock additions and pics

jan 15th- fts

feb 15th-fts and livestock updates

march 15h-fts and livestock updates

if people start their journals now and post their empty tank shots,tank with water shots,equipment shots and liverock shots they are covered untill december first which is the next update.