Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 11-12-2015, 02:21 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael151722 View Post
any other opinions on wht i can do with my skimmer if i am on vacation? Would the cup be able to hold two weeks worth of stuff?
Well it seems there is a little fad going on with some who are pouring the crap from their skimmer back in the tank?????????

If you get frends or family to check on your tank be warned that there is alot of posts from those who have come home to their tanks being a real $hitshow. Hire a company
Old 11-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Some skimmers have a little port in the bottom of the cup you can attach tubing to so its drains into another bucket or something. Perhaps you can alter yours to be like that? My vertex 150 has it.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:21 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Yes, drain adapter for the cup routed to a bucket. I have a 2 liter pop bottle inside an IO salt bucket to collect skimmate. The plastic bottle cap has one hole drilled into it to accept the vinyl tube & a few smaller ones to vent any pressure that could build up. The bucket is my secondary fail safe, I've had a few occasions where the skimmer overflowed & the pop bottle was insufficient to hold the fluid, bucket saved my butt. But I also agree with others that leaving a tank totally unattended for weeks is inviting disaster.

Another old industrial look photo featuring my wooden air diffuser driven skimmer. Situated on a little stand attached to the display stand. Don't recall whether it had the drain adapter already or if I added it. The skimmer came with the tank. Here's a photo of it labeled as to various functions including drain.

Last edited by mike31154; 11-12-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:32 PM

michael151722 is on a distinguished road

hello everyone, thanks for all the reply i am not leaving the tank entirely unattended for three weeks, i will have a friend to check on it. The thing is i just want to know if i can turn the skimmer off for the two weeks or maybe put it to run on a timer for like 10 hours a day

Thanks
Old 11-12-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Yes, drain adapter for the cup routed to a bucket. I have a 2 liter pop bottle inside an IO salt bucket to collect skimmate. The plastic bottle cap has one hole drilled into it to accept the vinyl tube & a few smaller ones to vent any pressure that could build up. The bucket is my secondary fail safe, I've had a few occasions where the skimmer overflowed & the pop bottle was insufficient to hold the fluid, bucket saved my butt. But I also agree with others that leaving a tank totally unattended for weeks is inviting disaster.

Another old industrial look photo featuring my wooden air diffuser driven skimmer. Situated on a little stand attached to the display stand. Don't recall whether it had the drain adapter already or if I added it. The skimmer came with the tank. Here's a photo of it labeled as to various functions including drain.
hello this is really useful, do you guys know if they have it on HOB Reef Octopus Skimmer 100
Old 11-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

From the sounds of the questions you're asking, this tank isn't even ready to be set up yet... When is this vacation? You still have to set the tank up and let it cycle properly, no point in using a skimmer when its cycling. Just wait before you start adding livestock if you're going on vacation anyway.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
From the sounds of the questions you're asking, this tank isn't even ready to be set up yet... When is this vacation? You still have to set the tank up and let it cycle properly, no point in using a skimmer when its cycling. Just wait before you start adding livestock if you're going on vacation anyway.
my vacation is next year August and i am gonna cycle the tank in december once i finish with exams, i am trying to plan everything out so everything will go more smoothly