Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 06-15-2008, 03:41 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road
Default Why is reefing so big in Alberta?

Im sure other West Coasters have noticed that Alberta, (Calgary in particular), seems to have considerably more reefers. (There are many more postings on this forum from Albertans). I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that Calgary has more SW outlets than Vancouver, even though Van is considerably larger. Aside from a half dozen shops in Van City there isn't really much else in BC. A few on the Island and in the interior and that's about it. Add Edmonton's SW shops to Calgary's and I'm sure there are twice as many as in BC. (And soon you're getting a huge Big Al's)
Is it because many people in BC live near the ocean and take it for granted, or maybe Alberta's standard of living is higher and more people can afford the hobby? Any thoughts on this?
If I wasn't such a "whiner" about the climate; my ocean view; and the Canucks I'd move to Calgary and shop my A$$ off.
Lance (SW deprived)
Old 06-15-2008, 03:48 AM

motokorth is on a distinguished road

Maybe because we are land locked and it gives us something better than grass to look at, or snow during winter. :P
Old 06-15-2008, 04:18 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

First thing I said after reading "Calgary stores get 120 SPS colonies" was "Honey, what do you think about moving to Calgary??"
Although, I spent the afternoon at the ocean at Jordan river with the dogs swimming and chasing sea otters, think I'll stay here.....
Old 06-15-2008, 04:33 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
First thing I said after reading "Calgary stores get 120 SPS colonies" was "Honey, what do you think about moving to Calgary??"
Although, I spent the afternoon at the ocean at Jordan river with the dogs swimming and chasing sea otters, think I'll stay here.....

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's pretty hard to beat a Sunday afternoon out in the boat, beer in hand, salmon & prawns in the ice chest, feeding the eagles and watching the Killer Whales go by.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:20 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

There are times all the good reef stuff is in BC. The pendulum swings one way, then it swings the other. I don't know if standard of living really has that much to do with it - there might be some folks who are living high off the hog right now but for the most part, I don't really think that applies to the average family living in Calgary. There are times all the good deals and all the good shwag is on the coast. Lower Mainland anyhow..
Old 06-15-2008, 05:25 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
There are times all the good reef stuff is in BC. The pendulum swings one way, then it swings the other. I don't know if standard of living really has that much to do with it - there might be some folks who are living high off the hog right now but for the most part, I don't really think that applies to the average family living in Calgary. There are times all the good deals and all the good shwag is on the coast. Lower Mainland anyhow..
I have to agree. I know I'm more so living in debt then high off the hog! I admit there is a good selection of stores and people to trade/buy things from, but there has been many times when the one thing I really wanted (at the time) was for sale in BC.

Last edited by fishoholic; 06-15-2008 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:52 AM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

Not that i can explain it but Calgary is one of the largest areas for SW hobbiests in North America. Its probably explainable by the work hard play hard motto. We dont have anything close enough to play in so we keep fish.

Back in the good ole days
Old 06-15-2008, 05:54 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Higher IQ's per capita...
Old 06-15-2008, 03:06 PM

vazgor is on a distinguished road

no it's the farmer thing we are all farmers at heart and no one can aford the land to grow cows so we grow fish
Old 06-15-2008, 03:27 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

We spend all our money on wet reefer supplies, not the dried kind.