Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-24-2018, 03:45 AM

Tensa is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking of starting GFO for phosphate removal

Hi guys.

A little history:
I started this tank in August of 2017, and I decided my method of nutrient removal at that time was to grow algae in my sump. So instead of making a proper algae turf scrubber, I got some of those white plastic square things from Walmart and roughed them up and put them in my sump. And I set up a light I had lying around in my sump. I was growing and harvesting algae for 4 months until I purchased a pair of potter's angels, and I started getting paranoid about them eating my coral, so I started feeding more. With more feed, the algae and bryopsis in the sump exploded.

I noticed I had a lot of bryopsis growing in the sump which then started growing in the sand bed of the display tank. I attribute the sand bed growth to my poor husbandry habits and nutrients building up in the sand. Around the same time, I was out with the flu and my fish had velvet. My tank got wiped except for one potter's angel who I've treated and is now in a smaller tank awaiting a forever home.

I'm treating my tank with fluconazole and I think the reason my nutrients haven't exploded from the die off of the bryopsis is that there is no fish in the main display tank.

After my fallow period ends at the end of April, I will be re-introducing some fish into the display tank. I've thought about my nutrient export for when that happens and I think I want to try some GFO's this time. (I hope this will help with some brown slimy algae by removing excess silicates as well).

I have a few questions:
1) I notice people that run GFO's seem to run carbon as well. Is there a reason for running carbon with GFO?
2) My understanding is elevated phosphates can be a real killer of corals, but elevated nitrates are not as much of a concern. Is this a correct assumption?
3) What would you suggest I use to help maintain appropriate nitrate levels?
4) Do I need a protein skimmer to use GFO's?
5) Yes, I do not have a protein skimmer... I've read so many conflicting arguments for why you should have one and why not. The reason I did not get one was because some people believe that the organics in the water provide nutrients to the coral. Let me know if you feel differently, I have been looking at potentially getting one if I go the GFO route.
6) If I move away from trying to algae scrub, do you think a tupperware full of miracle mud could help with nitrates?
7) My understanding with GFO's is, I need to purchase a reactor. I will put the GFO in the reactor, maybe put some filter floss in the reactor to prevent any GFO dust from leaving the reactor and that is it?

Long post, if you got to the end you win a *thumbs up*.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-24-2018, 05:24 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

I guess to start with we would need to know what your nitrates and phosphates were sitting at. A refugium will reduce nitrates and phosphates (nitrates will be reduced more than phosphates). GFO is great at reducing phosphates and carbon dosing is another method to tackle high nitrates along with water changes.

Depending on what your numbers are, the most important is figuring out where the source of the high nutrients is coming from ie. overstocked, over feeding, lack of water changes etc. I know our tank is in a fallow period right now but prior did you test you nitrate and phosphates with a good quality test kit?