Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-22-2015, 02:23 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Ya, I imagine they're pretty delicate when that small. Looks like I lost one over night. The smallest of them. I doubt she was barely an inch long. RIP
The other 2 look ok so far...
Old 05-22-2015, 10:04 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Wow that's tiny!

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:56 AM

Ya, almost unbelievably tiny. Came home tonight after work and the other female had also succumbed to the rigours it probably has gone through over the last couple weeks.

The male however seems to be doing great. He's been fed 3x today and has eaten like a pig.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:11 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I'd be ****ed if they sent me fish that small without warning. I warned you about buying wrasses unseen. It sucks that you probably don't have another option.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:29 PM

Unfortunately, living where I do, 90% of my fish are bought unseen.
I've been in J&L while a new person was being trained and I discreetly shadowed them a bit as they were talking in the isle. And it's actually one of the things that kind of impressed me with their on line sales. The one girl mentioned to the newbie that because the people who are ordering either over the phone or online can't see the exact fish they're buying, to be sure to take the time to catch and give the best specimens that they currently have in stock. People who come to the store can either choose to purchase or refuse any particular fish, but not online sales.

If that's how they're teaching new employees to treat online sales, I'm good. I would have liked to have been notified they were THAT small, but I can understand how that detail might slip through some cracks.

I did contact them via e-mail as soon as I got home and found the second deceased fish (so roughly 24 hrs) and they contacted me back within an hour or so apologizing and saying if I e-mailed them a pic of the dead fish they'll credit my account. While it still sucks for the fish , as a customer they still have my business. And it's also educated me a bit to maybe ask a few more questions before I get them to bag and ship livestock for me.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:03 AM

Well, I think tonight's the night things are going to get started moved over. I've done several large water changes over the last couple days, NO3 is down to 1 ppm. How many fish do ya'll think I can move over safely into 300 gallons of water that has finished cycling and has had MB7 dosed everyday and ghost fed for almost a week now...?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:03 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I don't know your total load Dom so can't say myself, but with that volume of water I'd say you could go with the standard 'a bunch' and watch the params for 3-5 days. Then if all is good after 2 weeks do another 'bunch'.

Or you could just toss 'em all in at once and spend the next month testing the primary 3, major WCs/dosing MB7 etc.
Depends on how much time you want to spend controlling NH3 and so on. And as I said I don't know your current load awaiting release.

A plus to adding everyone at once will of course be the lessening of squabbles.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:36 AM

I have 3 tanks running (not including QT's, lol) and I'd like to shut 2 down over the next week. The small cube only has a yellow watchman goby/ pistol shrimp combo and 2 green chromis.
The other tank I'd like to shut down has 2 true percula clowns, a green chromis and a purple dotty back. Also in there is a skunk cleaner and coral banded shrimp. That's it.
So that would ba a total of 7 small fish and 3 shrimp.

My main tank is going to wait till I get a few other fish through QT and they'll all go together. A bunch of tangs and such. But that'll be a couple months down the road.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:00 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I'd have no concerns adding all those at once. Have 50g new water made just in case, but should be ok
Old 05-28-2015, 03:16 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

If it were me, I'd toss all those aforementioned fish into the 300 right now so I could shut those tanks down, but I'd transfer the shrimps to another 'holding tank/s' until the NH3 is gone. Shrimps won't take any NH3 like fish will.
I wouldn't expect to see any NH3 in a system of your size, but no problem being safe, ya ?

The # of fish you listed is a drop in the bucket for your tank size. But, keep up with your MB7 and testing. If you forget 'cause it's been awhile, Ammo can sneak up on you fast. It'll burn critters within hours so be very diligent.
If you're nervous, extra aeration helps the fish, and lots of testing is a must
I use an Ammo Alert in my QT and it's helped tons while I'm running hypo. Each time I see NH3 trying to climb I add a bit of Seachem AmGuard ('cause I already own it) and it works wonders. This allows me time to setup a WC and test NO2/NO3.

I say dump those fish in and enjoy !

And don't forget to snap some pics !!