Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirsphynx View Post
I've never heard of red legs doing anything for aptasia. Buy several peppermints. One or two usually won't do much, if anything at all. I put 9 in my tank and after a week it was clean.
I think I will have to take the risk and maybe add them at night so they have a chance. My Hawkfish is still kinda small so maybe and if they can stay away from my Coral Banded Shrimp aswell they may survive long enough to take care of my aptasia (there really isn't much, but in my eyes its a plague )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Would be nice if scarlet's ate aptasia but they won't. Who told you they would?
I read some literature on the internet Both mention these crabs near the bottom of the page:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/seaanemoneprofiles/a/Ways-To-Eliminate-Aiptasia-Anemones_2.htm

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-exclusives/fama/aiptasia.aspx

But if noone has had sucess I guess I will spend my money on some peppermints
Old 02-22-2012, 01:57 AM

dc4 is on a distinguished road

I have a pair of pepermints and they took care of the few aptasias that were in my tank. My flame hawkfish doesn't pay any attention to them plus they feed the tank when they release their babies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2012, 01:58 AM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

I have a mature coral branded and cleaner and my pepermint is still alI've after a week and a half and he cleaned all the aptasia in my 34g cube.
Just make sure you feed them b4 adding the peppermint and make sure you got enough hiding spots and you should be fine. Now in regards to the flame hawk... I don't know sInce I've never had one. Should be ok since he's small but then one way to find out.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:52 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

I am pretty sure my coral banded shrimp took my peppermints and my cleaner shrimp out... I have seen him grab fish too

But hopefully the peppermints in great enough numbers can get it cleaned up first...
Old 02-23-2012, 04:54 AM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

Guess I got lucky, my CBS is too clumsy. It also really depends on the size of the shrimps... Unless you got a overly aggressive CBS, he should be ok with cleaners if they are abut the same size and peppermints hide during the day so have a good look.