Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Hmm, you probably just scared him and now you should consider mixing some water in case you notice signs of toxicity. That ink can be toxic, though if he's been a tank for a while he's probably less toxic than a freshly imported specimen.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

What they squirt that is toxic is like a dye (purple, black) If what came out of the SH looked like poop, felt like poop, its your guess as good as mine LOL.
Kevin
Old 04-09-2010, 08:49 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Coral Aquariums View Post
What they squirt that is toxic is like a dye (purple, black) If what came out of the SH looked like poop, felt like poop, its your guess as good as mine LOL.
Kevin
That's what I was thinking, but you never know with sea critters. Thanks for the help, BlueAbyss as well. I've got a fresh water change ready.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:41 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

The one I had pooped white, clylindrical poop. I've heard that if they die in your tank (they usually starve if your tank is healthy) then they can release toxins. I don't know if they secrete them when frightened but it sounds like if what you're seeing is white, it's poop; if it's black or purple..... WATER CHANGE !

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:57 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Well, it was light brown, so I'm thinking he just went poop. "Shrek" has now been moved into the main display, where there is a little bit of algae, but not a lot. I'm convinced that it was eating the chaeto, as the sump is very clean. I've got some algae in my quarantine as well when he runs out in the main display, and then back into quarantine I guess, where it has lived for quite a long time.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:54 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
The one I had pooped white, clylindrical poop. I've heard that if they die in your tank (they usually starve if your tank is healthy) then they can release toxins. I don't know if they secrete them when frightened but it sounds like if what you're seeing is white, it's poop; if it's black or purple..... WATER CHANGE !
The toxin is meant to protect the animal from predation, so yeah it can be released when the animal is alive and kicking and not just when the creature dies. If it looks like poop, it's poop. If it looks like ink you're in trouble
Old 04-10-2010, 02:27 AM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

Does the toxin save them from anemones? or are they smart enough to stay away from them? just curious I got some HA left over from when it was worse and a tube anemone but the tube is movable and i would probably keep the Hare in the nano and move the crap rocks into there for it to feed.

Poonoka, if he ever runs out of food in your tank I'm sure theres a few weeks of food in mine.