Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-05-2010, 07:39 PM

TheMikey is on a distinguished road

I don't seen the point in putting the skimmer after the Fuge, wouldn't that skim all the good stuff from the fuge that you want to send into the display?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:07 PM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMikey View Post
I don't seen the point in putting the skimmer after the Fuge, wouldn't that skim all the good stuff from the fuge that you want to send into the display?
Yup I agree just looking for other input, and want to keep it simple
thanks
Old 04-05-2010, 08:26 PM

TheMikey is on a distinguished road

If I were planning out a sump I would probably go Skimmer -> Fuge -> return. Make sure there's baffles to keep out the bubbles.

Check out Melev's Reef page. It's a great sump resource: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Personally I prefer the Skimmer ---> Return <--- Refugium model. This way you can more easily have three different water levels. Have the skimmer water level at just the right height for skimmers, the reguium level nice and tall to maximize refugium size and the return section lower to handle back siphon and such. So many possibilities in sump design though, it all boils down to what people prefer.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:55 PM

Fragzilla is on a distinguished road

This is how I have mine set up as well - works great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Personally I prefer the Skimmer ---> Return <--- Refugium model. This way you can more easily have three different water levels. Have the skimmer water level at just the right height for skimmers, the reguium level nice and tall to maximize refugium size and the return section lower to handle back siphon and such. So many possibilities in sump design though, it all boils down to what people prefer.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:15 AM

neoh is on a distinguished road

nice tank. Is something I've been considering, would like to see how it all pans out. Consider me subscribed!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:32 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitandwatch View Post
Ok here I go, just got the sump added in.

But first I have to give big props to Doug "Fishytime" if you saw the last tank stand it was not finish, with Doug's killer skills he finished it up and its looks great, if you need a tank stand talk to Doug.

The sump is now a 55gal that I traded with Doug, I switched him the shallow tank that he may use for a clam tank or whatever he would like.

I was able to get the sump into the stand by removing some bracing so I really don't want to have to remove it a again.

So I am thinking and have placed the sump in to get this.
Skimmer --> Return <--- Refugium

I will be able to drop the overflow right into the skimmer and t it off to the Refugium.

My other thought was to go refugium --> Skimmer --> Return, this would be easier to plumb but was not sure it would be best for the tank.

If you have any suggestions and recommendations please let me know, I am a plumbing newbie so any suggestions with that would also be helpful.

Oh no check valve with the bigger sump I will be able to handle the extra water with the larger sump.

Thanks for looking and you esteemed advice.

Hey that is a pretty sharp lookin stand......... Thanks Brian..... Its gonna be pretty sweet when its up and runnin.......having fun playing with your rock?.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMikey View Post
the skimmer really only pulls in a certain amount from the skimmer section anyway......what makes it through the skimmer section, still has to survive going through the return pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I couldnt agree with you more brutha
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-09-2010, 03:50 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
the skimmer really only pulls in a certain amount from the skimmer section anyway......what makes it through the skimmer section, still has to survive going through the return pump
Chunks are edible too
Old 04-19-2010, 03:27 AM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

Update time

Got some rock and sand from eco-reefer, I like the rock its heavier then my Tonga rock but everything is. I was able to talk to them and tell them what I wanted, they sent me some photos of the rock and I got what I saw some photos below.

Every time I went to Red Coral Kevin had something else for me to pick up and buy here are some items that I picked up last week, I wonder if he will take my third unborn child for payment.

-First shout out to Kevin for the great rock that I did not need!!! But had to have it

-Bubble magnus 180 got it together and in the sump still playing with it so will post some more later about it.

-Vertex reactor for bio pellets set up and tumbling so its good to go

-Another MP20 so will have two running which should be just right for this tank

-Power module 8x80 got a great deal on it as it was a display model at MACNA, came in on Friday but was missing a hanging kit and power supply for the fans so working on that.

So its coming along had to get a lot of it together by today as the wife was getting a little antsy about the mess that I had going for the last few weeks but so was I.

Here are some photos hope to have the light hung soon as thats the last big item that I can think of right now.

Oh I also want to get a reactor for carbon so if anyone has a suggestion that would be great.

No water yet just the reefer-rock

Water in, mix of my rock and reefer-rock

Rock, water, can see the top of the skimmer, return with the bio-pellets.
Still have the refugium empty for now
can also see the light rack I made for the light

Put the light on some PVC just to turn it on and see what it will look like.

Super exited as this has been a much longer project with way more money involved then I wanted but I can see the finish line I just need to say away from Red Coral

Last edited by sitandwatch; 04-19-2010 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Props for Red Coral
Old 04-19-2010, 03:34 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Looks great!

TLF Phosban 150 reactor works great for carbon; usually can find one for a good deal.