Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2016, 05:13 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough
Default New overflow style to ponder over ... thoughts? Lengthy post so read at your leasure

If you don't already know, my 75g sprung a leak. There is a warranty replacement tank enroute, but I'm pondering a new style of overflow to maximize substrate space.

There is NO money available for me to order a custom tank, so don't remind me what I 'could' have

So, enter the Synergy Reef Overflow idea. I hope it's OK to post a link as none of our current sponsors carry anything such as this, but if I'm wrong sorry ... Synergyreef sells the 20" unit for $249US, so I'll be stealing their plans.

The design of this unit is not a whole lot different than what Glass Holes started off with years ago, but what they've done is create boxes that are more 'coast to coast' than just a square box. These guys offer a 16" and a 20" wide box. I like the idea of a 'wide' weir for surface skimming. And the way it's installed is completely different than a machined weir that may put stress on the back glass up high where the glass needs it's 'bowing' resistance.
The biggest attraction for me is the box 'inside' the tank is less than 1-3/8" deep. It holds 2 bulkheads for flow to the outside box .... I won't continue on. You can look at their website for more info.

Something else that attracts me to this design it the fact that I can use an existing 75g without removing any of the factory trim. This keeps the center brace in place, and the running water level above the trim/out of sight.
This doesn't mean 'their' design does or doesn't do this, but rather that 'mine' will.

Learning about this new style box has brought me to think about a DIY for my replacement tank. And this is where I'll give you some info to peruse and maybe give me some feedback on.

I like the idea of drilling holes many inches down from the top of a tank, verses cutting a wier across the top of a tank that wasn't spec'd for it.

My plan is to start with a stock 75g tank - no holes. I will then drill my own holes in the back.
I will build my own internal black acrylic box copying the above idea.
For the external part I will build a box using glass as it's easier for me to build it 'leak-proof'.

'Their' setup calls for drilling bulkhead holes 3-1/2" from the top. This is obviously a safe enough distance from the top to minimize glass stress/breakage and I plan on stealing this idea.
I'm then able to build whatever Herbie or Bean style I like.

Any questions or thoughts ?