Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 PM

Snufflupagus is on a distinguished road
Default Diatoms...problem just won't go away.

Hey all,

Well I've had a diatoms problem for months now and just getting tired of dealing and looking at the stuff. Recommendations I've been told to do were:
More water changes, syphoning it out. I've been doing both religiously and the problem just won't stop. There are times that it looks like it's getting better, then a couple days later will be back in full force. Hoping someone can help me come up with an idea on how to rid this pain in the ars stuff.
Tank is 150gallons (roughly 180 total volume with sump) I'm running GFO and bio pellets (note that I'm running 1.5 cups of GFO and 2 cups of bio pellets, I'm suppose to be running 4 cups of bio pellets, but am taking it slow in getting the total amount up) I have a high bio load, but my skimmer seems to be doing a good job as I empty the cup every 2 days and it's full with good brown sludge. Flow in the tank is setup to hit all areas in the tanks so there are no dead spots.
I started to dose zeostart, zeobak and coral snow to see if this helps the problem, but I don't see any difference.
Other things I've been told to try and/or not do:
Buy some probiotic products and dose them.
Stop the biopellets
Do not stir up the sand bed

All my fish are happy and my sps and ops coral growth has never been better, they seem to be very happy. I have multiple crabs and snails in the tank for a clean up crew. I also have a sand sifting star and sand dollar in my tank.

I just got new AI LED lights (put them up yesterday) and have them running at 30% right now, at it's peak time.

My sand bed is 3" in some spots and as low as cm's in others.

I did start the tank using 60% new rock and the other 40% was from the tank I shut down. I know the problem is probably due to the newer rock, but the rock has been in e tank for a year (roughly) now.

I'll keep battling the problem, but thought I'd ask the pros if they have any other ideas on what I could be doing. Help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Are you sure it is diatoms? Does it trap air bubbles and look a like brown snot? If it does then it might be dinoflagellates

Diatoms aren't usually a big problem in a reef tank there are so many critters that eat it, the problem doesn't last long. Dinoflagellates on the other hand are a big pain and can be challenging to get rid of

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 PM

There used to be little bubbles, but they are all gone. Now it's just a brownish orange mat that is only on the sand bed. They almost look like tiny round pebbles on the sand bed.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 AM

Reefie is on a distinguished road

ZEOstart2
Intended use: Accelerates the cycling process in new tanks, color enhancer, soft coral growth and PE
Positive results: Growth , PO4 und NO3 reduction
OD Symptoms: brown film forming air bubbles at lighting period

For the substrate, I'd suggest sand sifting Goby

I could be wrong, but the lighting at 30% may increase the growth rate for Diatoms as your LED's are emitting a spectrum that Diatoms prefer? I'm light acclimating my tank also with a pair of Panorama PRO's at about 50% and I'm seeing a bit of a Diatom breakout as well.

The Coral Snow & ZEObak dosed together work towards getting rid of Cyano, not Diatoms.

Are you getting a buildup of mulm at all? You can try Bio-Mate to reduce the mulm.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 AM

No mulm. I guess it could be the zeostart. Also my lights have only been on for one day, I can't say they are the cause of the problem at all...yet lol
I have scooter blenny, will the goby get along with it?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

maybe post up some pictures of your diatoms?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufflupagus View Post
There used to be little bubbles, but they are all gone. Now it's just a brownish orange mat that is only on the sand bed. They almost look like tiny round pebbles on the sand bed.
This is exactly what I had going on not that long ago, my problem solver was to ADD more Vertex Pellets as mine were almost depleted to nothing.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default diadoms

why don't you try an algae scrubber.also what are your water parameters.you might get a clue of what is happening
Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

how old is the tank?.......how much flow exactly do you have?.....I know you said lots, but how many GPH do you have inside the tank?....how many fish and what kind?......what do you feed and how often do you feed?......you said you used a percentage of old rock and some new rock.....was this new rock live rock or dry rock?.....when was the last time you changed your bulbs?......do you use RO water or tap water?.....does the tank receive any natural sunlight?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694

Last edited by fishytime; 02-20-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
maybe post up some pictures of your diatoms?
I'll try to get a good one today when the lights come on.