Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-10-2011, 04:29 AM

martinmcnally is on a distinguished road

Found this website that will ship Berghias to Canada. I'm going to order some as soon as the holidays are over to clean up my tank.

http://www.saltyunderground.com/inde...ath=6&CDpath=7
Old 12-10-2011, 04:35 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Ok but is it a proper time of the year to order them? Even with a heat pad, would it not be too cold as they are sensitive and delicate creatures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinmcnally View Post
Found this website that will ship Berghias to Canada. I'm going to order some as soon as the holidays are over to clean up my tank.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:37 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinmcnally View Post

I'll go in for some too.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 12-10-2011, 05:13 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Bought some from Salty Underground and they are doing really well. The shipping is a small fortune but it's next day delivery.. BUT don't be surprised if they get hung up in customs for an additional day. Mine did, but luckily it was nice weather and they all made it. I ordered 20. I put 6 in my little cube, 6 in the RSM 250 and 7 in the big tank. Four months later the big tank is still full of aptasia, the cube is completely cleared of aptasia as is the RSM. Once the aptasia are gone the nudies starve to death, BUT they really start searching once they get low n aptasia, and you can find most of them on the glass. I was able to find all 6 from the cube and 5 or 6 from the RSM, along with a dozen babies.

I'm thinking the reason they flourished in two tanks but didn't in the third is the big tank had a Bangia Cardinal. Since both the banger and nudies are nocturnal, and the banger hunted ALL night, I think she either ate them, or tried to eat them.

I gave the banger away, and have put most of the gathered up nudies in that tank, crossing fingers..

I was really surprised just how big these guys get.. Good inch and pretty meaty too..

Heres a couple of pictures taken of some Im raising. Theres a standard frag plug in the first one for size reference. the second pic is of a couple of young ones already laying eggs.

Last edited by Borderjumper; 12-10-2011 at 05:28 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 12-10-2011, 06:35 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

I had a couple in my tank I couldn't inject so I covered them over in 2 part epoxy about 2" proximity around them. No more aiptasia so far.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose View Post
I had a couple in my tank I couldn't inject so I covered them over in 2 part epoxy about 2" proximity around them. No more aiptasia so far.
That has worked for me too but can't be done in tight spaces sometimes. Luckilly my glue killed the hard-to-get ones. I'll be a little more generous with my epoxy and add a dab of glue to it as well lol.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:52 AM

Kevotron is on a distinguished road

Ohhh if they only eat Majanos....
i have like maybe 5 aiptasia... vs 200+ Majanos
Old 12-13-2011, 04:51 PM

BigAl07 is on a distinguished road

Here's an alternate method of attacking Aptasia, Majano, and almost anything else you can "see" in the tank. I'm going to either build or "borrow" one for my Japanese Clove Polyps that are killing some of my Zoas.

http://youtu.be/Cbk7mA5PuAQ
Old 12-13-2011, 05:30 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Saw that last week as well. Looked into buying one even, found a few suppliers.

In my case though, with pets and small kids in the house, and all the males in the house with the exception of the cat being huge science and sci-fi nerds ... this would be one horrible purchase to make (to be filed alongside other epic mistakes of judgment such as "bought the 6 year old a real lightsabre and he accidentally cut his grandma in half" http://youtu.be/TXMX_xm7IRo ).

Obviously you have to be extremely cautious: reflections from the glass are possible so nobody can be in the room with you, including pets; steps to be taken to keep fish away from the spot so they don't get instantly blinded or burnt .. and so on.

I'm also curious if the beam passing through the glass might do some residual damage there as well, perhaps creating a weak spot?

Cool idea though in theory! Come on, it's freakin' LASERS!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'll admit I wanted to see what my frontosas would think of a laser pointer once. They took immediate notice and went crazy trying to get it!

I am not sure how you could have that thing shining in there that long and not have a fish notice (see) the end point. Equal parts awesome and risky here.