Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-25-2014, 06:15 PM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

Well I'm almost done with the stand, just gave to sand it once and apply one last coat and I think the painting will be done.

For doors I went to IKEA and ordered doors, so those will be added shortly.

I've also bought a BK Mini180 gen3 to run the system, instead of the Vertex Omega 150. Nothing wrong with the Omega, just wanting to try a BK and I really liked the cup removal on this skimmer along with the small footprint... that should arrive next week some day.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:35 PM

Slowly coming along.
Got the sand in last night and was extremely surprised just how clean this sand was
Added all 90lb with the return and power-head on and there was barely any sand storms. I used 2*30lb Tropic Eden Reef Mini-flakes and one 30lb bag of Tropic Eden Reef Flakes bags

I was hoping to get my rock in, but wife wants to go shopping today

Never thought I'd run a BK, but since I got the BK mini 180(should arrive tomorrow possibly today) I decided to pull the plug and get a neck cleaner, so I went with a swabbie DYI from Avast Marine as I was really impressed with my Avast Vibe reactor. This will arrive in about week or two.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:50 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah buddy! It is finally wet!

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 12-02-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
Oh yeah buddy! It is finally wet!

Gotta get the fish out of that tub if you know what I mean

Hoping by my birthday I'll have some stuff in there
Old 12-04-2014, 03:50 PM

Aquascaping time. I've never worked with pukani rock and I must admit its amazingly light, super porous and easy to work with. Thanks Eli @Fijirock
Used fijicrete to bind the rocks together.

I'm not artistic at all and I think I could have done better, but this is what I've come up with for now:

Left side:

Right Side:

Old 12-04-2014, 09:29 PM

Oh yeah buddy! looking good man. How long you gonna cycle that tank for?

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 12-04-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
Oh yeah buddy! looking good man. How long you gonna cycle that tank for?

7 days and ill be adding some cleanup crew
14 days and ill be adding one fish and my surviving zoas

I'm running Zeovit so the tank should be cycled really fast, not to mention I've had the rocks in water since April
Been running lots of GFO and skimming off them, I'm actually curious to see what type of bacterial bloom i will encounter.

Jess's rocks had some bacterial bloom but wasn't too bad considering those rocks were once live and have quite a bit of dye off.

Now i need a fish trap and need to get some pods in there... I'm concerned about my mandarin as the tank wont have pods... good part is shes frozen trained so she likes mysys
Old 12-04-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
7 days and ill be adding some cleanup crew
14 days and ill be adding one fish and my surviving zoas

I'm running Zeovit so the tank should be cycled really fast, not to mention I've had the rocks in water since April
Been running lots of GFO and skimming off them, I'm actually curious to see what type of bacterial bloom i will encounter.

Jess's rocks had some bacterial bloom but wasn't too bad considering those rocks were once live and have quite a bit of dye off.

Now i need a fish trap and need to get some pods in there... I'm concerned about my mandarin as the tank wont have pods... good part is shes frozen trained so she likes mysys
Damn....I should've done the same thing with my rocks lol

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 12-17-2014, 10:44 PM

Default Update

Its been 14 days since I started the zeovit cycle and currently dosing the following:

.4ml in the morning and .4ml in the evening of Zeostart
5 drops of sponge power
5 drops BAK twice a week (I'm a little concerned about this additive as it smells a little fowl).. ordered two more 10ml bottles to compare the odor
I'm currently running 1000ml zeostones with 100gal/h flow rate which is shaken twice a day for a minute by a Avast Vibe (best reactor out there - anyone looking to get a new reactor, I suggest spending the extra $ and going with an automatic reactor... I cant imagine manually shaking the stones.)

I have a 4" clown and 4" red Solon wrasse in the tank; both are very happy and eating. Clown is probably a little upset as I could not catch his pair and hes all alone... hate catching fish in a 150g tub...

I still have to catch a fairly large purple tang, second clown, anthias, starry blenny shrimp goby, two pistol shrimps, one blood shrimp and one cleaner....

Now I don't know if I should be concerned but, I have not had much of a algae bloom... one day I had one string of hair algae and next day it turned to a dime size cyano then it disappeared...there was a few strings (maybe3) on a rock but it disappeared overnight assuming to the cleaning crew...

The rocks are fiji live dead live rock which I've been soaking since april in a tub and ran lots of gfo along with a skimmer on them, then after setting up the tank, I waited a week before i started the zeo cycle.

On day 10 I added some Zoas from my previous tank and each day after I added one coral, so far all Zoas are happy except two frags which were pretty ****ed from before... I suspect they did not have enough light.

MY Parameters are a little low and will start dosing over the weekend... I want to take a few calculations in two-three days so i can measure the consumption.
Ca 390
Alk
KH 7.1
MG 1160
Old 12-24-2014, 08:36 PM

The rock is pukani not fiji... I glued the rock together with a product called fijicrete.

Decided to try a SPS see how it will do and my friend gave me a green slimer frag

Moved some zoas from the holding tub

And a display pic .

Still no algae, getting some film on the glass every 3-4 days which I think its normal. I also ordered a Tunze Care Magnet which apparently doesn't scratch the glass as the magnet is not sitting directly on the glass since I'm afraid of scratches.