Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-23-2014, 07:27 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy
Default Choosing an Angel for my Reef

I want one more fish for my 3 ft cube (150 gal). It is a mixed reef (SPS, LPS, a few zoas, mushrooms and a gorg). The tank is fully cycled, has a 55 gal refugium full of critters, and is almost fully stocked up with fish. I would like to add a medium-sized angel or a pair. By medium I mean under 6 inches fully grown. I know angels are hit and miss when it comes to corals. I do feed my fish 3 times a day and am willing to take a chance. Some of the angels I am considering are:
- Venustus angel
- Multibar angel (preferably a pair)
- Potter's angel
- Bicolour angel
- Regal angel

I'm looking for advice from experienced reefers. Which one would you choose from this list? Any suggestions that's not on my list?
Old 11-23-2014, 07:31 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

What other fish do you have? I've always been a sucker for Majestic Angels and Multibar angels. I think Regals get too big for your tank, and would be more likely to cause you grief than the others you listed.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-23-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
What other fish do you have? I've always been a sucker for Majestic Angels and Multibar angels. I think Regals get too big for your tank, and would be more likely to cause you grief than the others you listed.
Good point, Myka; I already have:
- A 4 inch Yellow Tang
- a 3 inch Kole Tang
- A 4 inch Copperband Butterfly
- A 4 inch Harlequin Tusk
- A 4 inch Tamarin Wrasse
- A 3 inch Orangeback fairy Wrasse
- A 2 inch Leopard Wrasse
- A mated pair of true Percula Clowns
- A 3 inch Cleaner Wrasse

10 fish in total
Old 11-23-2014, 09:01 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
I want one more fish for my 3 ft cube (150 gal). It is a mixed reef (SPS, LPS, a few zoas, mushrooms and a gorg). The tank is fully cycled, has a 55 gal refugium full of critters, and is almost fully stocked up with fish. I would like to add a medium-sized angel or a pair. By medium I mean under 6 inches fully grown. I know angels are hit and miss when it comes to corals. I do feed my fish 3 times a day and am willing to take a chance. Some of the angels I am considering are:
- Venustus angel
- Multibar angel (preferably a pair)
- Potter's angel
- Bicolour angel
- Regal angel

I'm looking for advice from experienced reefers. Which one would you choose from this list? Any suggestions that's not on my list?
Some of the fish in the list above are hard to get trained to eat prepare food. Regal angel is infamous for that. Venustus, multibar and potters are also slow to accept prepared food in a lesser degree.
The other small angel fish that are not on your list but are colorful (if colors are you looking for) are flame, lemon peel, and multicolor.
It's your tank, put whatever fish you like in the tank as long as you understand the risk.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:27 PM

seabreeze is on a distinguished road

You are taking a chance with any angel in a reef tank. Are you planning to ever have a clam? Loved my potters but could never keep a clam. Even if they are fed well, they may suddenly one day decide to try the landscape.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:57 PM

halwake is on a distinguished road

Have a regal and flame in my tank with a maxima clam, lps and sps. They are both model citizens. Got my Regal from Incredible Aquarium. He was a bit shy at first, but eats everything including pellets like crazy, mysis, nori. I do consider myself very fortunate though, some are tough to get eating. Regals are one of my favorite Angels.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:26 PM

Halwake, does your Regal touch any corals? It's also the biggest of all the angels I listed (10 in full grown).
Old 11-23-2014, 11:36 PM

halwake is on a distinguished road

He does not touch the SPS, LPS, or my maxima clam. We had some pink and white sponge growing on the bottom of some of the rock, he cleaned that up other than that all he touches is the pellets, mysis, nori, flake, anything I feed them pretty much. He is around three inches. Again, I do consider myself very fortunate with him, other people may say the opposite. Many of the other regals I have seen were in the five inch range, maybe cause my guy was so small he was easier to get onto prepared food and leaves everything else alone, for now at least
Old 11-24-2014, 01:57 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I've found (and heard others claim the same) that smaller specimens (of larger fish) are easier to adapt to accepting foods and tend to taste corals less. My Flame Angel pecked every SPS I had, but left LPS alone. Your fish list looks fine - whatever you decide, I would try to find something around the same size as your other fish, like 3-4".

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-24-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:31 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

I have a Flame and Pygmy Cherub, and they are both model citizens. They have never nibbled on SPS, LPS or clams. (knocks on wooden desk!)