Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-22-2014, 04:58 PM

kamloops_reefer is on a distinguished road
Default Frustrations with Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer

anyone else running this skimmer at 9-3/4" water depth is close with problems? I have the riser tube open 100% I also have the adjustable nozzle (where the water comes in) turned out almost all the way

this thing is skimming wet, not very dark. When I pulled my filter socks and put new ones in, this went crazy and just overflowed the collection cup like no tomorrow.

one other concern I always had... the skimmer doesn't' really seem to sit level - the pump weight tilts it a tad bit, and the weight of the cup usually brings it to plumb. I could be paranoid, and granted with all the problems I've had with this thing I should be - but shouldn't it be plumb?
Old 11-22-2014, 05:35 PM

FishingGoalie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamloops_reefer View Post
anyone else running this skimmer at 9-3/4" water depth is close with problems? I have the riser tube open 100% I also have the adjustable nozzle (where the water comes in) turned out almost all the way

this thing is skimming wet, not very dark. When I pulled my filter socks and put new ones in, this went crazy and just overflowed the collection cup like no tomorrow.

one other concern I always had... the skimmer doesn't' really seem to sit level - the pump weight tilts it a tad bit, and the weight of the cup usually brings it to plumb. I could be paranoid, and granted with all the problems I've had with this thing I should be - but shouldn't it be plumb?
I had the same problem that depth is definitely too deep as i was at 9 inches and had the same problem.built a PVC square to raise it up a inch and a half. I also found that i needed to thoroughly rinse out my filter socks before putting them into my tank.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:53 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

Have my 150 set at 7.5 inches , works great the smell makes me want to puke when I take the lid off the cup to empty/clean lol. I would raise the skimmer and try that .
Old 11-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Zoa Hoarder

davej is on a distinguished road

Was running mine at 8.5" and not too happy with production. After some reading on different forums decided to raid it up an inch. So far much better. Still find it very finicky, if you feed or put hand in tank, foam collapses right away.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

hello.
i have mine in 8 inches of water and is perfect.

are all your filter socks new? new filter socks always cause skimmers to overflow like crazy for days and days in my experience.

if you are using new filter socks for the first time i recommend vinegar soak and a major rinse first.
i am guessing that thia ia your problem
Old 11-23-2014, 03:33 AM

jordsyke is on a distinguished road

yes tht is too deep
Old 11-23-2014, 06:08 PM

halwake is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info guys. Have the 150 as well at nine inches of water and could only get tea coloured skim mate except around the throat and lid. I have raised it up to 7.5 inches water depth and we will see how that works.

Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:10 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Omega 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer Juice View Post
Have my 150 set at 7.5 inches , works great the smell makes me want to puke when I take the lid off the cup to empty/clean lol. I would raise the skimmer and try that .
+ 1 agree This seems to be magic depth for me as well, I also get the gross smelling very dark glop, smells just like sewer, wife leave's the room when I empty it. I ran mine in a vinegar bath for 24 hours for break in when I got it new put it into the sump made some adjustments for a couple of days to dial it in and it's been perfect since then. Good luck
Old 11-23-2014, 10:24 PM

seabreeze is on a distinguished road

I have the Omega 150 and love it. How long have you been running it? It will flow wet until it breaks in. And yes, agree with the filter socks... will overflow like crazy if you don't rinse first.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:28 PM

kamloops_reefer is on a distinguished road

I've been using this for 1.5 years off and on between moves