Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 11-10-2014, 02:17 PM

Wildechild_01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
If you are serious about DIY LED's I would recommend you invest 30 mins of your life and watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rp...vg8NwXIxydJ86A
Have not had a chance to watch the entire video yet, but did take a look at the BuildmyLED site, they may be another option depending on budgeting and what I decide i want the final product to look like. Would still need multiple fixtures as it doesn't look like they have multi channel fixtures. Regardless their suite could prove to be incredibly informative even with the DIY Route.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:19 PM

Vancouver Reefer is on a distinguished road
Default LED... Build or Buy?

If your looking to go diy, check out the thread on reef central regarding the DIY array using Ecotech Radion bulb boards. You can buy 2 boards from Ecotech for $150, hook them up to powersupplies and drivers and you can get a DIY Radion for half the price of a new one. You can find the Gen 2 upgrade array boards on Ecotechs Parts website.

http://store.ecotechmarine.com/store/upgrades

You could then use something like a storm controller for the control.

http://coralux.net/?wpsc-product=storm-led-controller-2

You could easily build 3x fully controllable Radion Gen 2 (2arrays per unit) units for under $1K

The Ultimate DIY Aquarium Controller of the 21st Century!!!

LED's, PH, Salinity, Clock, LCD, ATO, Auto Water Changer, Variable Speed Cooling Fan Control and lots, lots more......

Last edited by Vancouver Reefer; 11-10-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:30 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Wardog: Cool link, thanks. I learned a few things It'll be interesting to see their findings after their little experiment.

Wildechild: Much depends on your goals. If you're looking to DIY the fixture and controller to save money... save it elsewhere.
If you just love to tinker and build stuff, wow your friends with your creative process... then DIY LED's are for you. I started my build with the thought of saving, but I bet in the end I'll have saved nada, lol But in all fairness, I've had a blast doing it and I think it's cool. That's all that matters on "my tank". I bought all the components - ledgroubuy, eBay, and other locations. I built a Jarduino controller, from scratch, but now you can buy remade controllers like the one Blue World Aquariums in Victoria makes.
Lots of knowledge here to help you build one if you want to. But don't rush the process. Understand what you're doing. It'll be much easier to diagnose and fix anything in the future.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Wardog: Cool link, thanks. I learned a few things It'll be interesting to see their findings after their little experiment.

Wildechild: Much depends on your goals. If you're looking to DIY the fixture and controller to save money... save it elsewhere.
If you just love to tinker and build stuff, wow your friends with your creative process... then DIY LED's are for you. I started my build with the thought of saving, but I bet in the end I'll have saved nada, lol But in all fairness, I've had a blast doing it and I think it's cool. That's all that matters on "my tank". I bought all the components - ledgroubuy, eBay, and other locations. I built a Jarduino controller, from scratch, but now you can buy remade controllers like the one Blue World Aquariums in Victoria makes.
Lots of knowledge here to help you build one if you want to. But don't rush the process. Understand what you're doing. It'll be much easier to diagnose and fix anything in the future.
The "hey look what i built" side of it is actually a little more of a draw than the money savings. That is probably why I want them all fancy controllable too. With my tank revitalization I am moving into automated dosing, researching a way to almost automate the water changes as well (that might be a project and a half, should have put the fish room on the other side of the basement haha), and who knows what else. So if i do take the DIY route with the lights will want to make sure down the road (if not right away) I can interface them with whatever controller/monitor I decide on, the APEX definitely being the lead choice at the moment.

As for timing, by the time i read through everything, make other related decisions with the tank, consider re-building a wall in the basement, and all that other stuff It will likely be the new year before I even start ordering material.

Tons of awesome advice already here, currently piecing my way through that thread on RC... it is huge. I'm sure i will be back with more questions, but until then keep the references and suggestions coming.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:11 PM

kamloops_reefer is on a distinguished road

I used groupbuy LED which has links to many other peoples build.

the Storm X controller is probably your best bet for DIY that I'm aware of. the multichip boards will probably be your best option
Old 11-10-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
If you are serious about DIY LED's I would recommend you invest 30 mins of your life and watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rp...vg8NwXIxydJ86A
Oh my.... well, that was an insanely thought provoking presentation. The technical stuff behind the LED's I know a fair bit, but when he started talking about the research they are doing... now that got me thinking. How awesome would it be to have your lighting look amazing when you wanted it to but like he said, who cares what it looks like when I am at work as long as the tank gets what it needs. Now to me this just increases my desire for programmable and switchable lighting schedules. I don't know too much about the controllers but that warrants even more research into the different controllers and what they are capable of doing.

Thanks for the link Wardog
Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Huge thanks to forum member jettawagon for the used DIY led gear can't wait to dive in and go through it all as soon as I get some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2014, 02:37 PM

Note to self: don't stare at the LED you are testing. Those things are bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2014, 04:30 PM

DSlater is on a distinguished road

Tagging along for this build.

What direction are you taking this? Larger 10 to 20W LED's or the smaller 3 to 5W? Control?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:38 AM

_Adrian_ is on a distinguished road

I'm about to take a similar path...

Too many choices, and with tending to overthink things don't help either LOL

I have an Arduino Due from another project that I'm going to use for control, as well as wanting to monitor and control a few other things on a 5" touch screen that will be sunken in a chunk of acrylic that will be mounted on the hood.

Now for the LED million dollar question...
Multiple smaller units ( 3W or 5W ) or a few larger units ( 10W or 25W ) ??
Both have their Pro's and Con's but it ultimately all really depends on the tank depth and what your planning on keeping in there.

Myself...
Its going to be a DEEP 150Gal ( 30" ) reef.