Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 AM

Stones is on a distinguished road
Default Speedwave DC pumps?

I see there are a few people out there running these fairly new to the market DC pumps. I've been thinking of upgrading my return pump to something more efficient and quieter than my current mag 18 so I thought I'd see what your thoughts were. If you're currently running one of these pumps, let me know what you think as well as how quiet they run in comparison to other return pumps you may have used in the past.

I'm currently thinking of going with the SWDC 2640 pump as that would be an ideal replacement for my mag 18 seeing as these pumps are controllable and I could dial the flow back down to what the mag 18 was putting out if need be. Seeing as I'm now using my spare mag 18 as my main pump started giving off stray current, there is no time better than now to pick up a new pump I guess.

I've also read these pumps have a soft start after a power outage but do they come back on at the speed you had it set at prior to the power outage or does the controller lack memory and just come on at the lowest or highest speed?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 AM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road
Default Speedwave DC pumps?

No better time than now? Wait 6 weeks, it might be a better time . I am. DC12000 by RLSS,
Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Vendor

nrosdal is on a distinguished road

i agree, can't wait for the dc6000!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 AM

Stones is on a distinguished road

Didn't even know a new model was coming out. Thanks for the heads up gents!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM

fixerupper is on a distinguished road

I have both the DC3000 and DC5000. They are very quiet and the controllable speeds are way handier than I anticipated. There has been discussion on some forums about misaligned threads (on the intake side?) but threads on mine are fine all around. I ran mine on the Kill-A-Watt meter and at maximum speed and about 5' of head they use more power than their stated maximum but at the lower speeds they use less than published. In my application used in sumps as return and skimmer pumps, they have been trouble free for the few months I've had them. Compared to the Sedras and Mags I've used, they have less vibration/noise and much more efficient. The controllers seem to be interchangeable between the sizes too. I think they come back on to the last used speed setting after being unplugged but I use my return on the lowest setting so ill go verify and report back if its any different. It seems to me that the similarly rated GPH Sedras handled higher head pressures better than these but that's just a seat-of-the-pants impression. All in all I'm very pleased.

20 year old Hagen 100g 6' mixed reef. 36g sump with multiple broken Waveline products removed. Lights T5-LED combo.
1 Coral Beauty, 1 Flame, 1 Blue Tang, 5 Green Chromis, 2 Pajama Cardinals, Asst'd hermits & snails.
2 large boxes of broken expensive aquarium crap. 1 x VERY understanding wife.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragIt Dan View Post
No better time than now? Wait 6 weeks, it might be a better time . I am. DC12000 by RLSS,
Dan
I'm waiting for these as well...
Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

The threads on my 2640 were messed up. The included threaded piece that is used to mount the barb fitting threaded on all the way but my pvc threaded coupler I had to very carefully and forcefully put on and only got about 4 full turns. I doubt I could remove it I wanted to make sure it would stay on. I would not have attempted to run the pump externally. The pump is quieter than a mag 18.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:21 PM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerupper View Post
I have both the DC3000 and DC5000. They are very quiet and the controllable speeds are way handier than I anticipated. There has been discussion on some forums about misaligned threads (on the intake side?) but threads on mine are fine all around. I ran mine on the Kill-A-Watt meter and at maximum speed and about 5' of head they use more power than their stated maximum but at the lower speeds they use less than published. In my application used in sumps as return and skimmer pumps, they have been trouble free for the few months I've had them. Compared to the Sedras and Mags I've used, they have less vibration/noise and much more efficient. The controllers seem to be interchangeable between the sizes too. I think they come back on to the last used speed setting after being unplugged but I use my return on the lowest setting so ill go verify and report back if its any different. It seems to me that the similarly rated GPH Sedras handled higher head pressures better than these but that's just a seat-of-the-pants impression. All in all I'm very pleased.
In addition to the misaligned threads there were also issues with some of the Orings on the existing pumps. I have spoken directly with the guys at H20 systems to ensure these issues will be resolved with the next gen pumps. I have decided to wait for the new ones which I hope to see in a month or so.
Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 PM

fixerupper is on a distinguished road

I must have got my 3 pumps...I guess 4 if you count the RLSS 8 skimmer...after they resolved the issue with the threads. My pumps are all used in the sump so I don't know if that 'leaky seal' problem as already been addressed as well. I read somewhere that an orange O-ring is available and solves the external use issue. If this was a known defect I don't know why they weren't just included. Still, a pretty darned solid first attempt. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new models have in store.

20 year old Hagen 100g 6' mixed reef. 36g sump with multiple broken Waveline products removed. Lights T5-LED combo.
1 Coral Beauty, 1 Flame, 1 Blue Tang, 5 Green Chromis, 2 Pajama Cardinals, Asst'd hermits & snails.
2 large boxes of broken expensive aquarium crap. 1 x VERY understanding wife.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

i had to wait until my 2640 came into the store which was only a couple days ago so the thread problem still persists it seems. maybe only on certain models?