Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 PM

Stones is on a distinguished road
Default Troubeshooting DIY LED

I've read through nearly all of the DIY LED threads on several forums as well as followed all the instructions from RapidLED on wiring a series of CREE XP-G's to a Meanwell ELN-60-48D driver but I just can't seem to get my light to work.

First off, I wired in a potentiometer to a 10V power source and to the Meanwell driver. Using a multimeter, I'm getting 350 mA with the potentiometer on full and the Meanwell driver internal pot set to the minimum with the multimeter connected to the V+ and V- leads from the meanwell. If I turn up the internal pot on the driver, I can bring my current from 350 mA up to 1.3 A so I know I'm getting power to the LED series as the driver and potentiometer are working correctly.

Now after connecting the V+ and V- leads from the Meanwell driver to my series of LED's, none of the LEDs will fire. I assumed I had a bogus LED so I tested them all indiviudlaly with a battery and sure enough, the 1st LED in the series was fried. After removing the LED from the series, I reconnected the V+ and V- leads from the Meanwell driver and the LED series still won't ignite. When I connected my multimeter in series with the LEDs after the final LED, I'm getting no current reading so I'm not getting any power going through my circuit.

I then went and tested all of the LEDs indiviudally again with a battery and they will only fire up when the battery is connected to the + and - posts on an individual LED. If I try to connect 2 or more LEDs together in a series none of them will fire. However, if I connect the battery to the + terminal of the 1st LED and to the + terminal of the 2nd LED in the series, the 1st LED will fire showing that the wiring/soldering between the two LEDs is sound. When I then connect the battery to the + terminal of the 1st LED and the - terminal of the 2nd LED, neither of the LEDs fire up when both of them should.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wasted about 4 hours last night troubleshooting this thing and ended up tearing out all of my wiring and redoing it to no avail.

Here is a pic of how I have the LEDs mounted to the heatsink. Ignore the 1st LED with the black marker as that was the dud.

Here I pencilled in how I had the LEDs wired together before removing the wiring last night.

Here is a close up of how i have the LEDs wired. I only resoldered the first 2 LEDs together again for testing purposes and was unable to get both to fire at the same time off of a battery.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

What size wire are you using there to connect the LEDs? Looks a tad too large to me, which makes soldering difficult since you need a lot more heat with larger guage wire. Solder joints don't look too good in the last pic. My guess is you had a cold solder joint and all it takes is one to prevent current flow through your series of LEDs. You may end up frying all your LEDs or the small wire runs on the starboard by needing too much heat with large jumper wires to get a good solder joint. Also, not sure the way you've secured them with screws is the best way to go.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the help Mike. Originally I had used smaller gauge wire but I tore all of that out to troubleshoot the LEDs individually or in shorter series. I guess I can pick up smaller wire and re-solder all of the LEDs to see if that solves the problem as its 16 G wire that I had used for the last pic.

At the time I purchased the LEDs, I didn't know that there was thermal adhesive available to glue the LEDs to the heatsink so I drilled and tapped the heatsink to mount the LEDs instead. It was a painstaking process and I will not be doing that again if i build another LED light.

Last edited by Stones; 04-04-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

just looking at some of the solder in the pictures they do look cold. did you pre tin all the pads? you want to pre tin the pads and the wires then solder them togeather that way will give you a much sounder conection.

also with the meanwells you want to adjust the max curent down to 1000mA befor you hook it up to your aray to prevent over current.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:29 PM

martinmcnally is on a distinguished road

Interested to see if you get this working because I ended up giving up on mine after I couldn't get it working. I had major problems with soldering and wiring. Apparently you need flux core solder... I didnt know that and not really sure if I have it or not still haha.

Good luck!

p.s. you can get thermal glue at Rona!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 PM

Thanks for all the pointers guys! I was using rosin core solder and did pre-tin all of the terminals on the LED pcb's but I didn't pre-tin the tips of the wire. I'm going out to pick up a better soldering iron and some thinner wire here tonight so I'll let you know how i make out.

I've done a few small soldering jobs in the past (LED moonlights) and have never had any issues but I guess there is a first for everything...
Old 04-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

like most said keep you screws and soldering job is clean no loose wires or solder touching the star. And it is better for agonizing drilling and tapping into the heat-sink for if any problem arises later with individual led.
check some of the work i done on my arrays.

here is another

Last edited by eli@fijireefrock.com; 04-04-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 AM

martinmcnally is on a distinguished road

Well my prayers have been answered. This might help you too:

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-...or-CREE/Detail
Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road

I agree with the others, the soldering connections seem to be the problem. You need to tin the pads of the LED, tin the wire, then solder them together.

Helps a LOT if you have a high wattage soldering iron. You want to heat up the target, not the solder wire. Then touch the solder wire to the target, and let the solder melt onto it.

Careful of the flux (the clear stuff that comes out of the solder wire). If the flux is coating the pad or the wire, then that could be preventing a conductive connection. Don't be afraid to give the wire a good yank after you've soldered it. It should be ROCK SOLID. If it comes off, then obviously the connection was poor.

2016/2017 180Gallon Build Coming Soon...
Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

If you enjoy soldering and builiding your own arrays with heatsinks, wiring, screw tapping, mounting, fine, but if not, more and more options are appearing on the market that are plug & play without breaking the bank. A net search using "High Power LED E27 base" will yield a multitude of info on LED options with conventional screw in type bases. Some of them will work straight off your household AC while others work with a 12VDC supply. Personally I like the MR16 two pin 12VDC form factor. You could arrange a bunch of these with little effort since they push in to the MR16 base very easily and it's not as large a connector as the conventional household E27 screw in base. I can see this being somewhat more water resistant as well, with a small rubber gasket over the base which you would then push the lamp pins through. You could also run them directly from a 12VDC source like a deep cycle battery, provided you have a reliable way of keeping the battery charge at the required level to run the number of lamps you plan to use. No drivers converting AC to DC to run your LEDs, which are after all DC devices. You could also add a potentiometer to dim the LEDs directly in line with the voltage source. The electronics geeks could make this dimming feature automatic, I'm sure. Below are just a few links showing what's available these days. A little more patience, these things will start dropping in price as LEDs slowly start replacing the CFLs which replaced the incandescents in our homes. If/when one of these burns out, yank it & replace it, simple.

If you're still keen on assembling the parts required to DYI a soldered array, knock yourselves out, but I'm waiting a little longer and will build either an E27 or MR16 based lighting system when the price & availability of this form factor drops in price a little more.

http://www.ledlightbulb.net/store/in...dex&cPath=4_31

http://www.dhgate.com/15w-high-power...b9aa25384.html

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/mr16-1...ight-p-99.html

I know this doesn't help solve the problems with your current LED job, but so many folks are getting caught up in this DIY LED array craze when there are easier options on the horizon.

Last edited by mike31154; 04-06-2011 at 05:45 PM.