Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 03-18-2009, 07:21 PM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

Ive been looking at the 36" 2 bulb fixture (Hagen Glo) vs the Nova Extreme and I like what Im reading about the Hagen. Recently however there is a rumor that the hagen fixtures and bulbs are being discontinued.
Does anyone have any experience with putting different bulbs in the hagen fixture? Do Geismann bulbs fit? Aparently the hagen bulbs are weird measurements so other T5 bulbs wont fit. I just want to know how true this is.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:36 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i use aquamedics in my glo fixture. i have a 2x24W on my 10g contest tank.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 PM

Where would you get that bulb online? Do you know of any other bulb types that the hagen glo can take? Ive been doing a lot of reading but no one really talks about the bulbs, just the fixture.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:44 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I have a KZ bulb in my Glo, from what I know the 36inch will fit all 36 inch bulbs. Prior to me stepping on my ATI bulb it was also in the fixture.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:10 AM

As long as the bulbs are the same Wattage as the fixture then they should be fine.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

Old 03-19-2009, 07:56 AM

foreverfortune is on a distinguished road

for those who own one of the hagen glo may i ask how wide are the 2 bulb fixtures? i may be interested in finding two 2x24 fixtures. also where can you get the upgraded reflectors? i also see ballasts sold seperately. do the fixtures come with ballasts?

Last edited by foreverfortune; 03-19-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:14 PM

from what i have read and understand, the fixtures are a plug and play except the bulbs. They also dont have an on off switch, they need to be plugged into a timer which is fine for me but turns some people off.
the 2 bulb fixtures are pretty narrow, ive seen them in my lfs. Many people have 2 fixtures over their tanks just fine. But i dont know actual dimensions. Maybe look at the hagen website??
I found a site that sells ATI bulbs *YES!* So im going with the 39watt bulbs that should fit YAY. SWEET!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 01:52 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverfortune View Post
for those who own one of the hagen glo may i ask how wide are the 2 bulb fixtures? i may be interested in finding two 2x24 fixtures. also where can you get the upgraded reflectors? i also see ballasts sold seperately. do the fixtures come with ballasts?
about 4" wide, never heard of an upgraded reflector, the one thats in there is fine. the ballast is in the fixture, what are you looking at to be exact? this is what you should be looking at
http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/...01039100010101

there are replacment reflectors but they are not an upgrade.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:59 AM

foreverfortune is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
about 4" wide, never heard of an upgraded reflector, the one thats in there is fine. the ballast is in the fixture, what are you looking at to be exact? this is what you should be looking at
http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/...01039100010101

there are replacment reflectors but they are not an upgrade.

Steve
thanks, that is what i am referring to. i just saw some ebay sells selling just the ballasts and just wanted to confirm if the unit had the ballast included or had to purchase seperately. 4" wide is perfect for me thanks got the info i needed. i need 2 2x24 fixtures.

as for the reflector i just read some posts at the begining of the thread and thought there was upgraded ones. but the originals should be fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuappo View Post
Oddly enough doug and i just had a similar converstation about the hagen glo and i am sure you would get a thumbs up from him on this unit aswell. ANY lfs that sells the glow should also sell the reflector upgrade aswell (indi reflectors). i do not have the upgrade and find its fine without it.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:11 AM

I have 2 GLO fixtures. a 48 and a 24. the ballasts are built in . if you are viewing one with a external ballast it is a retro fit. to clear up another thing there is no upgradable reflector. its a reflector for the retro kit. still the one include is pretty good. the deep horse shoe shape works well. and i would agree with 4 inches in width.