Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-18-2007, 04:28 PM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
I can only speak from personal experience. I've kept reef tanks for about 10 years now and have seen ich too many times. I have tried many things; pulled my tank apart to Q the fish and copper them, I've tried Kick Ich in the reef tank, but the only thing that's knocked those little spots off is Garlic. SeaChem's Garlic Guard is my best friend. I'm sure it doesn't kill the parasites, but it sure removes them from my fish.

I currently have a slight ich outbreak. I caught it early and am soaking the fish food in garlic before feeding, and this morning (third day in), the spots are gone. As well, the parasites didn't afflict any but two fish in my tank.

I'm sticking to garlic. Other methods add more stress to the tank and I lose more fish with them.

Just my personal experience... I'm no scholar!
Reef Kid says white spots is not ich.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

1. Most lfs stores dont use garlic because its to large of a scale. They use uv systems and many still separate so they can use a copper based treatment.

2. I dont think it will make a big deal on new aquarists, if anything it will help if they feed their fish garlic treated foods. Most new aquarists do lose fish to ich, because they dont know how to treat them and the lfs stores dont suggest the use of a treatment like garlic.

3. I agree its not the be all treatment for ich but in cojunction with other things, like copper based meds, lowered slainity and treating their foods with garlic & selcon.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 PM

Default ich

Pet stores dont use garlic because they dont believe in it.Somebody should eat a pound of garlic and stand in a swamp and see if any masquitos bite them
Old 11-18-2007, 04:34 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_kid View Post
you have to also note that just because a fish is covered in white dots dose not mean it has ick.
Not all white dots on a fish are ich. White dots could be indicative of more illness then just ich.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:34 PM

SeaShell is on a distinguished road

Hey.... Garlic repells my husband... should work on other parasites too....

JUST KIDDING!!!!

Old 11-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Rob, I find it difficult to believe you fight garlic so much, but then suggest a power outage cured ich in your tank. Ya, way better advice than garlic, turn your power off. c'mon on.
Stores also don't recommend garlic because they don't sell garlic. They sell copper.
Now, if you want to use power outages and tear your reef apart every time (50??) you get ich, be my guest. But don't tell people that use garlic that they're wrong, because they are not wrong. Hundreds if not thousands of reports on the success of garlic have been recorded. You're saying we're all making it up? Really?
Now I don't care what your biologist friend or your LFS think, because I've tried it and it works. "Works" is a good selling point to convince me to keep using it. And since it works for so many others, I think it's good advice to try it if/when other things don't work.
You know copper is toxic to fish also, right? I don't want to poison my fish trying to cure them of something. Oh, right, it's only poisoning them a little. That's ok. Mhmm.
Lots of doctors wil tell you homeopathic remedies don't work, but thousands of pateints use them to resolve ailments. Jusat like garlic and ich.
If you don't want to use it, don't. If someone else wants to try it to help their fish, let them try it. Know why? It WORKS. No, really.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
Hey.... Garlic repells my husband... should work on other parasites too....

JUST KIDDING!!!!

Garlic also repells Vampires.That is a proven fact
Old 11-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon King View Post
Pet stores dont use garlic because they dont believe in it.Somebody should eat a pound of garlic and stand in a swamp and see if any masquitos bite them
Matter of opinion. I stated my view from the many lfs owners I know. Thats yours. Does not make it correct though.

I believe my reason for stores not using garlic is based more on what I said and not on the fact they dont believe in it. Although they may not, I doubt thats the reason they dont use it.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon King View Post
Rob, we're talking about ich and garlic in treating fish. What the heck does eating garlic and standing in a swamp prove in fighting fish ailments?

I gotta ask....have you even tried it??? Do you know what you're talking about first hand, or do you just listen to the LFS?? And stop with the "I've been doing this since dinosaurs roamed" stuff, lots of us have been doing this as long or longer than you. Without 50+ outbreaks of ich....
Old 11-18-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Garlic

Brad did I say it cured it.Wake up smell the coffee.On one hand you say garlic helped your ich then you say it cured it.what is it one or the other/